DIY Magnepan SMGa repair - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2008, 03:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks Wayne,

Firstly, check out the links in my first post for a bit more info about the speakers, and some other folks accounts of repair - Happily, I'm not the first person to try this

I had tried regluing, but it seems this was not satisfactory. The original adhesive was so degraded -soft and gooey- that it was no longer up to the job. Moreover, it was hard to clean any residues completely, with the wires still in place. This meant that my repairs did not hold... For that reason the choice to do a complete refurb with new wire was made. Your situation may be different, but have a careful, critical look before you decide what to do.

The repair is fiddly, but "doable". It would be worth practicing the method with some cheap copper magnet wire so that you get used to handling & setting out 4' lengths from a reel - stretch out a dummy panel e.g a garbage bag and try patterning on to that before you attack the real thing.

The most important thing: take pictures, make notes and record as much detail as you can before you strip the panel. I also marked the positions of the top and bottom "loops" in the wire onto the panel frame, so they were there for easy reference as I worked.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 8th August 2008, 08:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

OK, we're back in business! There's music playing as I type, and so far everything sounds solid and as it should be. Left and right speakers nicely balanced, sound is clear and clean.

Ed
Old 21st September 2010, 05:12 PM   #13
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Great thread.
I need to repair the tweeters.
Has anyone taken photos of the panel layout?
Old 21st September 2010, 05:36 PM   #14
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

Good photos of MG1 rebuild which is basically the same.

Magnepan MG-I Rebuild :: MG1-rpr5.jpg picture by krikor111 - Photobucket

amt
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:44 PM   #15
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Still haven't found out how to remove the frame to get to the sock!

And can DAP Weldwood be removed in case?
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:14 PM   #16
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

Dont yours have a couple of screws on the sides....

amt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smgA3.JPG (45.8 KB, 427 views)
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

tmblack ,

On the side oak wood pieces , there should be 4 to 5 screws that hold those trim pieces on. Remove those screws . There might be
a screw or two on the top of the top oak piece , remove it (them) also .

The bases will have screws that need to be removed also . Once all the screws have been removed , the wood pieces will come off the speaker with ease , if not , there are still some screws holding the wood trim to the speaker frame .

Once all the wood is off the speaker frame , locate the bottom end of the speaker , there , You will find numerous staples that need to be removed , to be able to remove the sock .

Don't forget to remove the screws from the plate on the back of the speaker , that the speaker wires connect to . . . once all this done , You'll be able to roll the sock up and off the speaker .

Good Luck , it's not hard , just time consuming , removing all the staples . :-)

Cheers , Stephen
Old 3rd August 2013, 06:12 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Up from the depths... And I was hoping not to have to revisit this thread on my own account., but here I am.

Enjoying the music this evening, and it dawned on me that things were not quite as they should be.... no treble on the right. I tested the Maggie's tweeter fuse, but it was fine... Digging deeper, I found the tweeter was open circuit, with a tiny break, barely visible, in the wire on the panel. Unlikely that I burned it out - nor was there any sign of surrounding damage, more likely there was a nick in the insulation and it corroded. Nonetheless it needs to be repaired. I still have the kit with plenty of wire, but had to order the over coating adhesive, which was rather expensive.

This will be project for one or two evenings next week. At least I only need to rework that part of the panel, and the wire layout is simple.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 7th August 2013, 08:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Materials are all present and correct. Time to get started later on today.

I also broke down and ordered some new "socks" from Magnepan. What a great company - one of the few that provides a phone number. When you call it, you need make only one selection and are then instantly connected with a real person . On top of that, they are able to help you with parts or whole repairs for things the company stopped producing years ago.

Ed
Old 10th August 2013, 02:09 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Ah well, a bit slower than hoped, but I did get started today. The tweeter section of the panel is stripped and ready for the process of applying fresh wire.

Removing the old wire did give some insight into the possible failure mechanism. Once the adhesive was largely removed, and softened up, it was possible to peel the wire gently from the diaphragm. Except that in a couple of places close to the break I found before disassembly, it broke very easily. The rest of the wire pulled away without trouble, all requiring a similar force. I suspect that the wire was damaged, possibly by me when it was fitted 5+ years ago, or that it was defective as supplied. We'll never know...

Anyway, looking forward to finishing the job and getting my the speakers back tomorrow.

Ed

Hide this!Advertise here!