high frequency high voltage power supply...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What some people try out in their living room keeps me amazed :hot:

This diabolic device is directly connected to the mains without isolation transformer, this fact alone makes it IMHO a no-no with lethal potential.

Output is likely to be in the 30Kv+ range (30mm spark!), which is much too high for ESL's. Also probably capable of producing lot's of current, way more than needed for an ESL hv supply.

I wouldn't try this at home, better stick to the good-old 2-transformers back to back solution with voltage multiplier. Can also be built very cheaply

That site is satanic, I've gone there a couple of time for unrelated things, and I keep telling myself never again.

You can get high voltage a number of ways briefly they are:

* Wind your own high voltage transformer using a low voltage one and rewinding the secondary.

* use a couple filament transformers, the first one is attached to the wall, and the others are wired backwards so their secondaries are attached to the driven transformers secondaries. Attach all primaries together matching phase.

* use any of the cold cathode switching supplies out there

* build your own switching supply with a pair of filament transformers.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.