Questions about diaphram tensioning - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2008, 10:03 PM   #11
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for providing the useful update, and glad to hear things are still humming along! When you checked for the amount of stretch could you judge whether you achieved the same percentage stretch in all directions?

Few
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I was almost at 1 1/2% per the reference marks when the film broke and it didn't fail near my measuring marks --- It may have been an abrasion or weak spot on the film or perhaps I didn' have it taped-down evenly. In any case, I didn't have enough film to risk a second break so I backed off to 1%.

No apparent problem with the sound, though... I love it.
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:54 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks Charlie; what I meant to ask was whether you approached the 1.5% (or 1%) stretch points along both the long and short dimensions of the diaphragm simultaneously, and if so, whether that seemed to happen "automatically." In other words, if you loosely stretch the diaphragm over the inner tube, tape it down, and then inflate the tube, is the final tension the same along the long and short dimensions of the diaphragm?

Few
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:07 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default diaphram on stretcher

Since my reference marks were in the width dimension only, I don't know what the lengthwise elongation was at failure. The attached photo link shows my second attempt with the diaphram on the stretcher at 1% [widthwise] elongation.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4...retcherur0.jpg
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:02 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Gotcha. Thanks.
Few

Hide this!Advertise here!