Carver TFM amps for ESL's ?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You can post links or clickable Thumbnails to uploaded pics of Your stuff. Upload facilities are www.imageshack.us for example.
like this. "My new babies"
Click the image to open in full size.
the big ones
the little ones

jauu
Calvin
Old 7th June 2008, 05:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Holy **** What a Setup!

Calvin,
That's some jaw-dropping setup you got there!
Are those dipole woofers? What are those amps?

I'm not sure if I did the link below correctly but there is a pic there of my hybrid esl minus the esl panel, which I havent built yet.

The woofer is a 10" Aurum Cantus MkII and the box is a 9ft tapered transmission line. The fwd edge of the box behind the esl is a "V" shaped beam-splitter -- the only means I could dream up to cram all that cabinet volume into a small footprint.

Charlie

Old 7th June 2008, 08:44 PM   #13
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Dang Calvin, you've been holding out on us! I think the last photos of your system I saw must have been several sets of speaker ago. How dramatic is the difference between the small and large systems?

Charlie, it looks like you're off to a great start as well. Very nice cabinet work. Based on what you've constructed so far I think you're going to end up very happy with the final result, no matter which esl panel construction technique you adopt.

I guess I'd better crawl back into my basement to continue my mdf sawdust creation project in an effort to keep up.

Few
Old 8th June 2008, 09:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,

thanks, since this is a professional setup at the munic fair (pic of the big one) I´m not shure if more info about the system and setup in this forum would be regarded as advertisement.
Those systems are the culmination of my work as DIYer. Earlier ´evolutional steps´ can be found here too (search for Calvin, ESEL)

@CharlieM
Looks like real good woodwork!
You and Few got mail

jauu
Calvin
Old 8th June 2008, 11:03 AM   #15
ktuuri is offline ktuuri  Canada
diyAudio Member

WOW!! Beautiful Setup Calvin, prehaps you might post a link to any websites covering the munic fair.
Old 8th June 2008, 11:12 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default The big goof

Thanks guys for the compliments on the woodwork. It started out as 3/4 mdf boxes I drew up in Delta Cad. I was originally gonna just tack on some oak trim for the front frame/baffle board and paint the rest. Then I got carried away and glued down 5mm red oak plywood on all surfaces, then trimmed-out the edges with strips of red oak planking. This improved the looks and the added thickness and ridgidity (.95" walls) likely reduced box resonances too. It definitely was not an easy task to build these boxes... all the glue-ups and egding was incredibly tedious and time consuming. I didn't have enough clamps so I ended up using concrete cinder blocks as hold-down weights to glue on the plywood.

BIG GOOF:
[very fatigued] I did something incredibly careless and stupid last night when trimming the stator pieces on the bandsaw. I had the oversize perf pieces leaning against the workbench and the saw fence set to trim 2" off the width. Somehow during this process, I actually grabbed one of the pieces I had already trimmed and run it through the saw a second time!!! (what an idiot, I'm saying to myself). I had a really hard time getting hold of this material too... now I'll have to find another piece of the same perf material to finish the project.
Old 8th June 2008, 11:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi,

6moons features a nice coverage of the fair with loads of great pictures. I think somewhere around page 8 our system is shown.

jauu
Calvin

@CharlieM
Ouch, **** happens......but don´t give up
By Graptar´s hammer....no surrender ... no retreat! :-)
Old 8th June 2008, 04:06 PM   #18
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Charlie--
Sorry to hear about the mistake---I made a couple of my own yesterday. I try to cheer myself up by saying the only way to avoid any such mistakes is sit around and design things rather than actually build them. I figure it's better to be brave and accept the little humility reminders that come along with the process.

Calvin--
Thanks very much for the extra details. You said:
Quote:
Earlier evolutional steps can be found here too (search for Calvin, ESEL)
Can you clarify where I should search? diyAudio or elsewhere? I'd like to learn more about what you've done. Very impressive.

Few
Old 8th June 2008, 08:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Calvin

are they in production, is there a website prices etc.???
Luke
Old 8th June 2008, 09:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi,

@Few
Yeah, at DIY-Audio under ´ESL´ and http://www.elektrostaten-forum.de/index.php
(eiskaltes_Händchen and purist)

Apart from the models that we produce for show-and-tell (distributors and retailers) the ESLs are manufactured on customer order only.
We are able to react very flexible on customers wishes with regard to color, features and electronics, so if there´s a special interest please contact me or http://www.ami-hifi.de/frameset.html
We are still working on the update of the website. Hope it´ll be updated within 2 weeks. I´ve nearly finished the texts for the ESLs.

And now back to DIY

jauu
Calvin

Hide this!Advertise here!