Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2008, 12:04 AM   #1
solid7 is offline solid7  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wanted: Small(ish) DIY Line Array for HT - please help

Hello to all - first post

I realize that Line Arrays are not usually considered a smallish thing, but I am trying to find some sort of solution to the problem of a seeming non-existence of DIY speakers to compliment flat panel TVs.

I know that this isn't the perfect audio solution, but for myself, and many others, the combination of small, non-optimal listening rooms and layouts, demands a more elegant solution than monitors on floor stands. Additionally, personally, I love the aesthetic of a multi driver loudspeaker system - especially when well built and integrated into the rest of the HT system.

Being a newbie, I have a lot to learn about acoustics. However, I have made it my focus to see this project through. I am not fixated on keeping a low budget. I just want to conceive a project, and see it through to completion. (while making it uniquely mine in the process) Since there isn't a very big emphasis on wall mount speakers, I'd also like to be able to share my findings and results with others who have the same interest.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to meeting and sharing with you all.
Old 28th April 2008, 12:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default line array for plasma

Here is a link to a computer speaker project. The Peerless 3" looks pretty good on paper for a small line array. I haven't listened to them though.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...2&page=7&pp=35
Old 29th April 2008, 09:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Parts Express has some speaker projects that be good for inspiration...

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...oject=Kuze3201
Old 30th April 2008, 12:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply!

I have seen that line array. However, I can't have a floor standing speaker. This has to fit on my "clean" wall, next to the flat panel.

I had wondered if that could be scaled down, or different drivers used. (maybe 3.5 or 5") I have been pondering a modification of that design quite a bit.
Old 30th April 2008, 01:29 AM   #5
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Here's another HT system suggestion from PE http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ect=Sphericles
They are shown on stands - but I don't think it would take much to make them wall mounted units.

Old 30th April 2008, 03:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

In case you haven't already seen it,here is a link to Jim Griffin's white paper on line arrays...

http://www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf
Old 30th April 2008, 11:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Bunce
In case you haven't already seen it,here is a link to Jim Griffin's white paper on line arrays...

http://www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

Thank you so much for that. I had been looking for this paper, and a couple places that I saw it linked, it lead to a dead link.
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

From the beginning, I've been interested in something exactly like this:

http://sunfire.com/CRT.htm

Are there any proven DIY designs like this anywhere?
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Those are not really line arrays.
There is a project on the PE website that uses something like 6 small drivers and a tweeter -- I think it was called the cynosure.
JJ
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jupiterjune
Those are not really line arrays.
There is a project on the PE website that uses something like 6 small drivers and a tweeter -- I think it was called the cynosure.
JJ
I know that it's not really a line array, but it perfectly fits the area that I have. I would even consider doing a longer enclosure with more drivers, and possibly smaller ones, at that.

I'm sorta stuck on the idea of line array, for lack of a better term. Perhaps I'm really looking for a multiple driver 2-way monitor?

Hide this!Advertise here!