Line Array's for HT use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build 3 sets of line arrays, one set at a time of course. I have read Mr Griffins white paper a few times before it was removed. For the first set rather than design anything new I would like to use some plans for a proven design. I am in process of building a IB subwoofer that won't be run over 50Hz because the vent goes to the exterior of the house. The line arrays will use an active crossover. multy amps per set of LA's not a problem.
The room is 12.5' x 13' the ceiling is 8.5' the room has 2 -10" risers for seating. Double insulated walls and ceiling with a 3" air gap, there is also 2 sealed doors.

I could use some help with:

design

woofers/mid woofers?

tweeters

All advice is greatly appreciated

Regards, Rick.

Goals

Rick,

What are your objectives here? Why are you leaning towards multi-way line source speakers for your HT as opposed to point sources -- iow, what are you trying to achieve and what compromises are you willing to live with? Budget? Are you planning to have all 6 working into the same room? Lastly, will you have active eq options?

BTW, IB subs are excellent in my experience.

What are your objectives here?

To have an extreme theater experiance.

Why are you leaning towards multi-way line source speakers for your HT as opposed to point sources

I like the ability of the line array to disperse sound so that all the 10-12 seats will have very good sound not just the one in the sweet spot seat.

Please forgive my ignorance, what does iow mean?

what are you trying to achieve and what compromises are you willing to live with?

Maximum sound experiance, at this point I don't even know what the compromises are.

Are you planning to have all 6 working into the same room?

Yes , I don't know what I will do for a center channel yet, I have read LA's dont work horizontally.

will you have active eq options?

Eq is wide open at this point.

Actually everthing is wide open at this time except the placement of the IB and the room size. And that is why I am asking for help before I make a lot of costly mistakes. I hate paying stupid tax.

Budget, I would like to spend about 1500$ per set of speakers

Thanks in advance, Rick.

Your room is going to be very cozy (and hot) with 10-12 people, 6 line source boxes, amps and a projector (I assume)! I hope everyone gets along well and that you have good A/C.

For this size room, I would go for maximum absorption and use 6" - 8" studs with fiberglass insulation between them all the way around the room, covered with a dark burlap or some other acoustically transparent material -- ceiling too. I would also consider wall or flush mount speakers just because you have such a small room. There are other benefits to flush mounting like elimination of baffle step and other diffraction effects that can work with you here. If you still want to go the line source route, consider the BG ribbons. They are within your budget and sound great and are naturals for flush/wall mounting. For your sized room, you could use the shorter 30" to 48" ribbons and still be in the near field. PartsXpress sells them.

If you really want to go nuts, build a double bass array woofer system. Your room is the perfect size for an affordable one, but you will need 8 woofers and an active crossover/delay unit.

iow = in other words

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.