magnetic motors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen,

I have been working on a magnetic circuit design for a ribbon tweeter which uses aluminum as the element. There has been an intersting question that popped up when I was discussing this problem with a few co-workers; how does a magnetic circuit move an aluminum element?

I did not think of this until my co-workers mentioned it. Every true ribbon that I know has a pure aluminum strung across the magnetic gap. Aluminum, being non-magnetic, should be impossible to move with a magnetic motor.

????

Thanks.

Hi,

current flowing through a conductor -regardless of the material- creates a magnetic field. This field reacts upon the magnet´s magnetic field. Since the current through the aluminium strip will change its strength and direction, so does its magnetic field. A force develops between both fields and since the magnets are fixed, the conducting strip moves.

Electrostats basically do the same, but here you use an electrical field instead.
Thats all.

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.