Opinions needed on magneplanar SMGa's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2008, 03:37 AM   #1
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions needed on magneplanar SMGa's

I recently came across a nice looking pair of Magneplanar SMGa's at a local flea market....the fabric and frames of both speakers looks fairly mint for thier age. They are listed for $140.00 firm. I am going to attempt to contact the booth owner and see if I can arrange a test listen.....But....is it worth it?

TIA for the input and advice...

Wayne
Old 30th March 2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I had the opportunity to hear a pair recently. Firstly, there was a lot more bass than I was expecting from a planar speaker. Second, was the huge sound stage. It is quite an experience to hear a wall of sound coming at you. Unusual, but not bad. Third: the sound was effortless and was presented as a cohesive whole; it was also very detailed. It is what I would call a very romantic sound (not the most accurate, but very much enjoyable). I was very impressed.

To put things into context: we had been listening to a comparison between a pair of Thors and Small Thors (which are actually larger than the Thors!). We heard the Maggies last; it was just like dessert after a gourmet meal. My home speakers are Yamaha NS1000's.

I don't know what the going price is for these Maggies, but I would jump at the opportunity. They are apparently relatively easy to service (compared to a conventional driver). The owner of said Maggies is currently searching for amplifiers that can drive them without fuss. Some amplifier short-circuit protection circuits have a habit of tripping when driving them. Amps that worked are my Douglas Self-based Load Invariant amp and another DIYer's Leach amp.
Old 2nd April 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Opinions needed on magneplanar SMGa's

Quote:
Originally posted by wboyd
I recently came across a nice looking pair of Magneplanar SMGa's at a local flea market....the fabric and frames of both speakers looks fairly mint for thier age. They are listed for $140.00 firm. I am going to attempt to contact the booth owner and see if I can arrange a test listen.....But....is it worth it?

TIA for the input and advice...

Wayne
I have a pair of Magneplanar MMGs which are a newer model. The X-over on the SMGa's are considered superior to the newer models. The overall sound of the SMGa's are said to be close to the newer MMGs although I've never heard them myself. I think you would be pleased with the SMGas. You might even be blown away!

The price seems a bit low so you may have a pretty good deal on your hands.

Be aware that the problem with older Maggies is that the aluminum wires can sometimes delaminate from the mylar film. This happens with age. Apparently the glue deteriorates in certain climates. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. You can run your fingers up and down both sides and feel for a seperation or an elevated wire.

The Magneplane Factory Tech Support will tell you how to repair I think you can send them in to the factory for repairs as well. They accept phone calls only; no email.

Good luck!
Old 2nd April 2008, 04:33 PM   #4
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have had SMGa, MMG, MMG-W, and currently have the MGIIIa.

I love thes maggies, but they need some serious power.

As mentioned earlier, run your fingers up toward the inner top of frames - it is here that the wires tend to de laminate.

I have rewired many SMGa and it is not difficult. Plenty of internet sites to show you how to do it. Google "SMGa rewire Peter Gunn" and you will find the best site. Just use a little bit of FRESH can of DAP Weldwood to glue them back down. If not glued down the panels will buzz. Using Weldwood, they will never de laminate again.

The only thing that can be a major problem is a torn mylar. I have had to scotch tape sections of torn mylar, and result was never perfect. You get a little buzz from the taped section. As far as a Tweeter rewire, I just used Rat Shack Magnet wire (36 guage?) instead on Aluminum. Work perfectly.

$140 is a great price as long as the mylar is not torn.

The crossover on the SMGa was a 1st order serial, not a typical parallel. Single cap and inductor. The serial crossovers are difficult to get right (critical on driver matching) but works very well with the SMGa.

The MMGs sounded brighter/clearer, while the SMGa sounded more warm and fuller. This could be due to the crossover differences.

If it were me and there were no issues on mylar, I would buy them and look into an active crossover (and biamp) and ditch the crossover altogether.

One caveat - You will want its bigger brothers very soon. And you may never want to go back to boxes ever again.
Old 2nd April 2008, 04:54 PM   #5
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

I drive mine with my 832 amp. The going rate is closer to $250-300 for a good used pair.
Old 2nd April 2008, 05:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I drive my MMGs with a PS Audio Trio C-100 integrated, 100w@8ohms, 200w@4ohms. The amp uses ICE modules.

Maggies do need an amp with some power (100w@4ohms minimum) and the abilty to drive a 4 ohm load.
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:37 PM   #7
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Opinions needed on magneplanar SMGa's

Quote:
Originally posted by wboyd
..............$140.00 ............... is it worth it?

Buy them !!!!! Bargain.

Andy
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:46 PM   #8
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JimOfOakCreek
Maggies do need an amp with some power (100w@4ohms minimum) and the abilty to drive a 4 ohm load.
Lets not start quoting bloated amplifier power ratings. My 832 puts out about 5 watts per channel and works my Maggies hard. The Maggies rate about 86db/w at one meter. You should be able to figure out the required power from that.
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kuroguy

Lets not start quoting bloated amplifier power ratings. My 832 puts out about 5 watts per channel and works my Maggies hard. The Maggies rate about 86db/w at one meter. You should be able to figure out the required power from that.
I don't think your opinion on 5 watts is in the mainstream. I'm not disputing your experience but in general, most Maggie owners recommend well more power than 5 watts.
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:10 PM   #10
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

My MGIIIa usually have a Class D UCD400 (400wpc @4 ohm).

I was surprised to see my Krell KSA Clone (70wpc@4 ohms) able to make them sing even better.

Unless you have a pre with decent gain, I do not see how 5 watts can achieve decent sound levels on a pair of SMGa.

For the hell of it, I tried putting a 10 wpc Tripath TA2024 Sonic Impact on a pair of SMGa. Not very loud or good.

Tube amps are typically underrated in power anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Hide this!Advertise here!