Running planar transducers with a 300B SET tube amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Rodango is offline Rodango  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rodango Send a message via Yahoo to Rodango
Default Running planar transducers with a 300B SET tube amp?

I had always heard that planar transducers were current hungry monsters and that a 300B SET amp would never operate them to even an audible level. So for years, I operated them with one of my many KT88 PP amps.

Then one day I got a 300B SET amp and started to look for speakers for it. I had heard that 1SCs were the way to go so while I was waiting for them, I thought "What the heck, I'll try the 300B with my planars."

I was ASTONISHED!

The 300B SET amp drove my planars to a seriously respectable volume! When my 1SCs came in, I found they were LESS SENSITIVE THAN MY PLANARS!!!

So you say "OK, what planars do you have?" I'm running Bohlender - Graebener RD50s. I never thought the 300B SET amp would drive them but it's now permanently attached to them. Oh and my KT88 amp d'jour runs my 1SCs.

So I now have a favorite 300B speaker, what I would consider an excellent choice for such, a B&G planar!
Old 4th April 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
8 watts on an 88db driver will work, and not too badly since you're not likely trying to get your low frequencies off the same amp. For most, it will still fall short in terms of output potential. Going to a bigger 300B to get more power seems like a decent option... BTW, I have some 50" B&G's sitting in the garage, care to share your design?

Hide this!Advertise here!