diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   Plasma speaker (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/120269-plasma-speaker.html)

deadlyvj 28th March 2008 03:01 AM

Plasma speaker

Plasma speaker

Claimed 200 to 12K Hz.

deadlyvj 30th March 2008 05:36 AM

New vid

This guy posted another video. I do not know all the info, but considering the large interest in the plasma tweeter, i thought this subject would have more discussion. Mated with a plasma tweeter, this set could have exemplary performance, again considering no moving mass for a extended range plasma speaker claimed 200Hz to 12 KHz.

Plasma speaker vid-2

Few 1st April 2008 09:31 PM

I emailed the builder of the driver to ask for more details but so far haven't received a response. I wonder what limits the high frequency response to 12 kHz---it's not the mass of the diaphragm!
Few

deadlyvj 4th April 2008 05:40 AM

This is the response I got
"The upper frequency range is limited by the grade of ferrite material used & the proximity of the primary to secondary windings. "

Few 4th April 2008 02:46 PM

Got it. Thanks.
Few

deadlyvj 4th April 2008 05:18 PM

He is giving out the plans. I think he said its fairly inexpensive. Some one should build one. I'm not electronically inclined.

Few 4th April 2008 06:14 PM

I requested that he send me some plans but apparently my request slipped through the cracks. I guess I could post another request but I don't want to hound somebody who is generously sharing information.

I don't have much experience with high frequency electronics so I'd be interested in determining whether it's something I could try out or whether it's complicated enough so that I ought to work my way up to it. I'm supposed to be working on my ESL project so I probably don't need another distraction!
Few

deadlyvj 5th April 2008 04:58 AM

If you look at the discussion below his video, there is a link to the plans.
He is going to make a kit for it, but it looks like he is trying to promote it as a visual show item, rather than a true audio performance product. Too bad. It sure does looks like it has potential.
Regards,

Few 5th April 2008 06:13 PM

Okay, I'm feeling pretty dense, but I don't see the link to the plans. Would you mind posting it here---or pointing me in the right direction?

I agree that it would be more interesting if it attempted to maximize fidelity rather than visual cool factor. Perhaps it could serve as the basis for something that aims to reach closer to 20 KHz with good performance. I'd be willing to give up a bit at the low frequency end of the spectrum.

deadlyvj 6th April 2008 08:59 PM

Looks like he removed that post.

:boggled: