Peter Dicks and DDD Wave Converter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2008, 11:10 AM   #11
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

Ordering special-treatment titanium sheets at single sample quantities is probably more expensive than pure gold.

How true, how true.
http://www.memory-metalle.de/
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:00 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I understand that Mr. Dicks is in the process of updating the (technical) information about the DDD drivers on the German Physics website. As soon as that is done I'll give you guys a heads-up here.

Jan Didden
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:47 AM   #13
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Has anybody heard German Physics loudspeaker? I need an input on this.

How is the sound, say, compared to Wilson WAMM?
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:01 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

David,

I can only compare the DDD's (in a complete system) to the Wilsons I heard in Bandung; I don't remember if that were WAMMs.

No misunderstanding: the Wilsons sounded very, very good. That whole system sounded very lifelike and was surely one of the best I ever heard.
But I would think that the DDD's are probably just a bit more refined, maybe less overwhelming and therefore more convinving. These were DDD's with titanium foil cones; I haven't heard the newest ones with carbon cones which presumably might even be better.

Just my 2ct worth.

Jan Didden
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:40 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Hi, Janneman,

Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 06:19 PM   #16
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

It's quite easy to knock up a distributed mode loudspeaker. I made a pair out of modelling card and two nasty little 65mm drivers. Total cost was < 15 and the most expensive part was the card (about 10). Here's a measured response:
Attached Images
File Type: gif dml.gif (10.4 KB, 317 views)
Old 22nd January 2008, 06:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
It's quite easy to knock up a distributed mode loudspeaker. I made a pair out of modelling card and two nasty little 65mm drivers. Total cost was < 15 and the most expensive part was the card (about 10). Here's a measured response:

I take it that you show this curve as a deterrent ?

Jan Didden
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default There is another way of doing this....

ues a standard voice coil and magnet assembly (best to eliminate the spider though). Connect the top of the voice coil to a tensioned plastic diaphragm install some form of dust cap. Now when you pulse the diaphragm a wave front is set in motion forward from the dust cap while at the same time the voice coil imparts a annular wave form which spreads out across the plastic diaphragm. The leading edges of theses two acoustical events are linked and in sink with each other. The end result is a spherical (reasonable fax) wavefront generated from a flat plastic diaphragm. It is the old ripple in a pond. Works like a charm if you juggle it properly. If any one wants to complain that it could not can not will not work because of so many reasons then explain how that german blathaller jig is selling for silly money. Give it a try before you say it wont because it will.
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:51 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Re: There is another way of doing this....

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
ues a standard voice coil and magnet assembly (best to eliminate the spider though). Connect the top of the voice coil to a tensioned plastic diaphragm install some form of dust cap. Now when you pulse the diaphragm a wave front is set in motion forward from the dust cap while at the same time the voice coil imparts a annular wave form which spreads out across the plastic diaphragm. The leading edges of theses two acoustical events are linked and in sink with each other. The end result is a spherical (reasonable fax) wavefront generated from a flat plastic diaphragm. It is the old ripple in a pond. Works like a charm if you juggle it properly. If any one wants to complain that it could not can not will not work because of so many reasons then explain how that german blathaller jig is selling for silly money. Give it a try before you say it wont because it will.
Moray,

Does the Manger work in this way?

Jan Didden
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:34 PM   #20
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
I take it that you show this curve as a deterrent ?
Not really. I've measured commercial loudspeakers that were a good deal worse.

Hide this!Advertise here!