ESL stator - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2008, 12:54 PM   #11
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I´m a bit atonished. Nice thing is, that in short time there have been a number of good replies. Bad thing is, no one obviously has thought of what the thread starter needs!
Quote: They will be used in a very small listening room.
So I ask:"How small is very small? If it is considerably less than 20m˛ the discussion up till now is rather obsolete, because a ESL only works well (and better than a dynamic speaker) when it has space around it to ´breathe´.
If You intend to rech down to 300Hz (which is a good starting point) You need a panel of ~25cm width. To reach down to this frequency with good dynamics the panel shouldn´t be smaller than 1m in height.
Expect such a panel to need ~1m distance to the backwall and sides of the room. Depending on the height of the panel the maximum SPL is reached between 2 and 4 m distance.
Can You fit such a system in Your listening room?

jauu
Calvin
Old 4th January 2008, 04:55 PM   #12
gvy is offline gvy  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi,

In my living room The panels are just 40cm from the backwall and the left one is about 60 cm from the side wall.
They sound fine and well focused.

In my home theater wich is a big +40m˛ room, the 4 ESL's have a lot more air around and it all sounds more like a real stage.

Nevertheless, the first situation isn't that bad at all.
You really don't need that much room to get a good sounding situation.(just my opinion )

But that is why I invite Rho , so he can make up his mind, if it is all worth it.

Further I strongly suggest wire stators

Geert
Old 4th January 2008, 05:44 PM   #13
rho is offline rho  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Very small means ...10m˛. (3m x 3,5m) The only stuff in the room are a single seat, 2 speakers and an audio-rack.
I know it's really small. That's why I pointed that out in the first post.

I can place the speakers about 60cm from the back wall and about 50cm from the side walls. I'm aware that it's not an optimal situation.

Geert, I still like to come over and audition your ESL's. (Can't mail you via the forum: You switched off the option )
Old 4th January 2008, 10:37 PM   #14
kayne is offline kayne  Australia
diyAudio Member

My room size is 6m x 4m and speaker to seating area is 4m x 4m. The full range speakers are about 1m from the rear wall and hard up against the side walls. In a smaller room the overall effect should be better.

Hide this!Advertise here!