Reparing Magnepan SMGs tweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Reparing Magnepan SMGs tweeter

I have two cracks in the tweeter aluminum stripes and looking for material to fix it. This stripe are glued to mylar film. I've tried to use some aluminum foil on conducted glue, but it doesn't want to stick for some reason. What I could use to fix it? Some conductive glue or more reliable brand of aluminum foil on conductive glue perhaps?
I would appreciate advice.

Thanks,
Viktor
Old 21st December 2007, 03:33 AM   #2
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have replace maggie tweeter voice coils many times - not that difficult - 36ga copper magnet wire from rat shack. Google magnepan voice coil repair Peter Gunn.

A little acetone will remove the glue and wire. Glue the 6 passes (?) to mylar with fresh (must be fresh or won't work right) DAP Weldwood from home depot and you will never have to replace them again.

Otherwise, I have heard of some people retracing the missing sections of voice coil with metalic PCB tracing pens, and heard someone else connecting wire sections with blobs of graphite door lock lubricant.
Old 21st December 2007, 05:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

call Magnepan, they'll send you a repair kit with everything you need (wire, adhesives, solder for the aluminum wire, instructions) for a very reasonable price. I repaired my MGIIbs years ago, it was easy and with a little care it ends up like new from the factory. I posted a detailed description of the process about a year ago.
Old 21st December 2007, 06:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I must finally get round to buying the ribbon replacement kit from them to repair one damaged true-ribbon tweeter in my old MG-2.5R speakers. As I'm in the UK, it would make life so much easier if I could communicate with them using email. Does anyone know if there is an email contact for Magneplanar yet? (Or why they're so Luddite that they still have to be contacted by telephone!)
Old 23rd December 2007, 02:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for advices. I've read Peter Gunn's article and I hate Super 77 too

Hide this!Advertise here!