ER Audio ESL III Kit, and ESL questions in general

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just after peoples opinions on the ER Audio ESL III kit (see http://www.eraudio.com.au/DIY_Speaker_Kits/ESL_III_Kit/esl_iii_kit.html )

I have no idea about ESL's, but I've just become very interested after reading some reviews in which it is basically described as the best loudspeaker the reviewer has ever heard.

How would a speaker such as this fare in a small room (11.5ft x 11.5ft)?

I understand that subwoofers are typically required. What types work best?

What sort of amplification is recommended?

Hi Wixy,

I own an early pair of ESLIIIs' (wider tweeter) which I rebuilt with the 3.5 micron diaphrgm.
I have slightly too large a room and they do sound a bit thin. I would guess the width of your room is fine as they would sound better nearer the side walls. The length might be a problem. Don't think you would need a subwoofer though. I would recommend asking Rob what he thinks.

He has the Acorns in his narrow long room and they sound perfect. Maybe one day I'll get a pair.

I think a subwoofer would help mine but have yet to try one.
As for amplifiers, it definitely need s a good high current amp. I use a Bryston 4BST with great results.
I have used a 50watt KT88 PP valve amp which does fine but is a bit bass light compared to the Bryston.
Hope that helps. I have no regrets about mine.
Regards,
Kevan

Wixy,

I built a pair of ESL III's using some parts from ER Audio and locally sourcing the rest. It saved some money but created a lot of hassle. Rob from ER Audio was very helpful. I've built dozens of loudspeaker system over the years, the ESL III's are the best. They will not go overy loud, but the tradeoff for sound quality is worth it. You will need to include two sub-wooofers. I use a pair of DIY dipoles which complement the ESL's very well. If you really want to experiment you should use a DSP/Equalizer and Active X-over, like Behringer, etc. You can really tailor the sound of the ESL's.

Wixy,

Some more ramblings... your room (11.5 x 11.5) is probably not a very good choice for listening although I understand that you may not have a choice. The ESL III's need to stand at least 2 feet away from the rear wall and should not be placed right next to the sidewalls. This doesn't leave a lot of room in your listening area.

Dipole and TL subwoofers sound good with ESL's but are probably too large for your room. However, consider a servo controlled subwoofer instead.

I power my ESL III's with a couple of 200 wrms amps from BK in the UK (OMP-200 STD), they work fine and cost almost nothing. (BKElec.co.uk)

Acorn comments or reviews, anyone?

G'Day all,
Has anyone built a pair of Acorn from ER Audio?

How do they sound? Where can I find reviews?

I am contemplating buying a pair of them within the next 2 years.

At the moment, I own a pair of Magnepan MG12QR and they are just great. But, I would like to experience ESLs.

Once you go flat, you never go back!

Thanks

Serge:D

ERAUDIO ACORNS

Hi
I have a pair of acorns and with no affiliation to eraudio, I love them. They just seem to get better and better as my equipment improves. I have not heard the esl III, so I am unable to advise on a comparison between the two.

Send me a PM for my details as I am happy to talk with you about my experiences.

Cheers
Greg

I finally got down to building a transmission line SW using a HiVi D8.8 (1.6m tapered). This was after trying them in a closed box and vented over the last couple of years. These are fairly cheap drivers apparently trying to copy Dynaudio.

The TL sound really good to me and in my room absolutely necessary.
Rough measurments in my room show the ESL III starts to drop off just below 100 Hz in my room. With the TL I measure right down to 30 Hz at around -6 DB with minor adjustment on a Reckhorn subwoofer amp. My room is large and comprises family room/dining leading on to the kithchen so pretty difficult conditions.

I will post some picts in the subwoofer section later and sometime soon get down to building the second and run them in stereo. It's amazing how a good subwoofer seems to bring out the best in a speaker.

kffern

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.