ER Audio ESL III Kit, and ESL questions in general

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever posted a frequency response graph and waterfall graph for any of the ER Audio speakers? They might make me rethink my plans to build a "flea-powered" amp and 100dB speakers...

I have done a few FR sweeps but I'm not sure how accurate they are. I showed them to Rob and he thinks something may not be quite right.
I have had mine for over 6 years and love them. My room is large and they do need a subwoofer or 2. I get a roll off around 200 HZ but my TL subwoofer does a good job.

I recently changed over to a minidsp unit and realised that one of my bass panels had a hole in it due to improper application of the coating. Once I do that I will go back to adjusting the minidsp to get the bass right again.

having heard a pair of Martin Logan summits at the local showroom, I'm glad I went with the ESLIII. The ML bass is pretty poor.
I've heard the Acorns at Robs place and they are really good. I would like to try one in my room to see how it manages to fill the bass.

In short, the ER speakers are great value and Rob after sale service is brilliant. BTW his little panels are nice too and very tempting as a second small room pair if I didnt already have a pair of Tannoy monitors.

I run the ESLIII with a Bryston 4BST and the TL subwoffers with a minidsp and Rotel RB1080. PM me if interested in the measurements as I don't want to publish if unsure of what I'm doing with the umik and REW.
Haven't had much free time recently to listen or work on the speakers.
kffern

Has anyone ever posted a frequency response graph and waterfall graph for any of the ER Audio speakers? They might make me rethink my plans to build a "flea-powered" amp and 100dB speakers...

I would think the decission between a ""flea-powered" amp and 100dB speakers" V/S an electrostatic with a powerfull transistor amp or PP valve amp would take a bit of listeneing to before deciding. Personally I like both but for the majority of music I listen to the Bryston-ESL III is better. I have a P-P valve amp and Tannoys for the rest. Still not up to a good pair of horns and flea powered amp though. A FR response plot may not demonstrate the difference.
kffern

Thank you very much. I'd long since had a pair of ADAM monitors (AMT midrange and tweeter) and they had very flat frequency response. I would hate to get into a new set of speakers and discover bumps which would be deal-breakers. Everyone's ears are different...any my plans for a "flea-powered" amp plus a pair of high-efficiency woofers plus AMT is likely way out of my range. The two small devices ER produce plus something indeed like your Bryston (I've always liked how they sound; under-rated stuff!) might be quite sweet. I'm in a tiny room so think "nearfield" systems...) Thanks!

Contact Rob at ER and he will advise. I heard the little stats with some budget woofers which needed some more work I thought. I think they deserve a good quality woofer around 6" to 8". My choice would be a transmission line.

He was considering a diy system with diy electronics kit which brought the price down.

kffern

Apparently if you scroll down on the mini panels page there is a link to a waterfall and an FR graph...looks like a supertweeter is needed from about 10K+ but otherwise looks pretty good! Tame it between 2-5K and looks like we're in business...

http://www.eraudio.com.au/Mini_Panels/Backup_of_UFPS-440.jpg
They have developed a new version of the mini panel as they had some frame manufacturing problems. The new panel is segmented to give better horizontal dispersion at higher frequencies. It's also slightly taller and slimmer, otherwise it should be identical to the old one. I'm not sure why they haven't updated the web site with information about the new panel.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.