BG RD75 ~ How does it perform on an open baffle, etc. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2007, 01:42 AM   #1
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BG RD75 ~ How does it perform on an open baffle, etc.

Once again found myself thinking about these drivers again tonight and thought I'd start a thread..

Came across this "raw response" on the ole' LDSG site for the RD28.1.
http://ldsg.snippets.org/graphics/BGC/rd28a.gif

I'm guessing that overall horizontal off-axis behavior in the upper mid & high frequencies would be nearly identical to the other models? And roughly what size of a baffle would be needed for, say for instance the RD75, in order to be able to cross to a suitable woofer(s) at around 200Hz or less?

Of course, they seem fairly directional in the upper ranges, but the narrowish width of the diaphram (compared to other large planars) probably contributes to them actually not being nearly as bad as others I've dealt with (Magnepans, for example).

What's the minimum recommended listening distance with one of thse in a an OB? I'd have to use them at a fairly close listening distance (6-10 ft), therefore it'd basically be a very tall line source above the modal region. Perhaps one of the smaller models would be better for this application?

I'm currently only aware of one or more regular members of this forum that have a good amount of experience with these particular drivers, but that's about it. I'm hoping he (and others) will see it and offer some insight.

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!