Curved ELS panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I have e question regarding streaching the diagfram over curved spacers, lite Martin Logan dose.

When you streach the film over the spacers, wount the film form a "bowl" in the middle of the film? Or is the spacing between the horisontal spacers preventing this some how?

/Johan Ch

Hello,

I have only recently ordered Roger Sander's ELS cookbook (not received yet) but it was David Heymayer(sp?) that done all the home work or _critical work_ with direct drive amps for Electrostats. Exploiting there advantages over other types even if the 70's amp designs themselves were primitive compared with modern stuff.

My interest in curved ELS panels is not so much that it could improve the rigidity of the panels/stators (which it could if it is done right and lower acoustic THD). But more the affect on the dispersion pattern and any advatages etc.

Having said that I need to read Sanders book (a layman's book pretty much). Read some of Walker's stuff and some of the patented theory is pretty heavy going.

Best Regards

Kevin

<i> Or is the spacing between the horisontal spacers preventing this some how?</i>

Both of the above :)

It has been said that you stretch it along the long axis only and just very little in he other direction.
I have not yet tried this myself, but plan to do so in the coming months.

Fanuc: The Sanders book is good, but it does contain some misleading explanations. So if you base your design on it, be sure to check it against the accumulated wisdom on this forum.

PS: I am a theory-only guy so far. But working to correct that :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.