Triangle shaped metal music maker? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Triangle shaped metal music maker?

Anyone hear of this http://www.planotspeaker.com/index.html

Comments anyone, would this, could this work well?

From the website...

A new dynamic loudspeaker technology that eliminates the need for an enclosing box and separate drivers for highs, mids and bass frequencies. Consequently, no crossover is needed. This new design allows for all frequencies to be radiated in a unified cylindrical wave front. Sound is radiated in 360 degrees in the horizontal plane. In the vertical plane it radiates as a line source producing an ideal radiation pattern for the listening space.

Not only does Planot reproduce sound more accurately than any other design but it is cheaper to manufacture and uses fewer natural resources. It is a green machine.

The Planot speaker functions as a "folded" planar speaker that pivots around its long axis, hence the name Planot
(planar/pivot) speaker. As far as air is concerned, the driver is a mobius surface (an object that is a one-sided surface).

A Planot driver's width ensures that the highest frequencies, therefore all frequencies, radiate in a 360 degree pattern. Its pivoting design overcomes the pistonic flexing of traditional speakers of all kinds. The Pivot trades torsional forces for the tensile forces that traditional speakers' designs must endure.

A typical Planot driver would be triangular in cross section and 48 inches long, with each face being 3/4 inches across the short dimension.
Old 11th October 2007, 04:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Interesting design. It isn't going to reproduce low frequencies worth a *** if it is just 3/4" wide though.

I_F
Old 11th October 2007, 11:18 AM   #3
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

What is light an stable enough to produce the high frequencies in an acceptable quality? I would think about solid balsawood, but it is probably far too heavy.
Old 11th October 2007, 01:58 PM   #4
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I would guesss that if the volume twisting around does not change, there is no air displacement.
Old 12th October 2007, 05:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Another one who spent money on patenting something completely worthless.

Regards

Charles
Old 13th October 2007, 06:31 AM   #6
planot is offline planot  United States
diyAudio Member

Dear forum readers, I can assure you that the Planot (tm) speaker does work. It works very well. I have to admit that I did not expect people to think it would not work after they had read the description and the logic of the design! I have read the comments of many people, on other discussion sites, who swear that the Planot can not work and then in their next sentence admit that they have not read the explanation under "How it works" on my Web site.

The fact that -most- people do not believe the Planot even works now is quite humorous.

I plan on having a -much- more advanced prototype within the next three months. (The current prototype was built merely to prove the technology works.) I will be making it available to national reviewers.

I am the inventor. I do not have plans to manufacture the Planot myself but license the patent to others to manufacture. I may make plans with single licenses available to hobbyists in the near future.

J.J.G.
Old 13th October 2007, 09:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am not familiar with the type of drives used in your concept, maybe it is strong enough to produce treble with a higher moving mass than a voice coil can, but won`t this result in a very low sensitivity?
At the last Highend in Munich I was shocked about the amount of money and distortion some people are prepared to accept for a true omni. I suspect it is not possible to build a 4000W amp that tonally gives a good performance.
Old 13th October 2007, 09:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At the last Highend in Munich I was shocked about the amount of money and distortion some people are prepared to accept for a true omni.
What product are you talking of ?

Quote:
The fact that -most- people do not believe the Planot even works now is quite humorous.
I too believe that this contraption will make sound - no doubt about it. But

1.) It will do so with a very low efficiency due to the very disadvantageous mass/vd ratio.

2.) The use of a "magnetic spring" doesn't help giving good linearity.

3.) It will show a very strange horizontal radiation pattern (think of multiple dipolar linesources mounted in a circle).

Quote:
I may make plans with single licenses available to hobbyists in the near future.
Unfortunaltely the patent-law is your foe in this respect. Hobbyists building your invention just for their own pleasure can do so without owing anyone any royalties.

Regards

Charles
Old 13th October 2007, 10:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate

What product are you talking of ?

Sorry, I thought it was clear - MBL.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry, I thought it was clear - MBL.
No not necessarily - 1.) I haven't been at the High-End in Munich and 2.) there is at least two more German manufacturers building expensive omnidirectional speakers.

But how is the impression of an MBL. I have seen more than one so far but never heard one.

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!