ESL Diaphragm coating

Hi,

Phenol is not easy to get. Perhaps you could try to get from chemistry labs if you know somebody close to it.
Both nylon 6,6 and nylon 6 should absorb moisture better than elvamide 8061 according to its datasheet.
The old and famous here Calaton was manufactured from nylon 6,6.
Standard nylon 6,6 is used for cable ties. Fishing line is made from perhaps nylon 6 in most cases but I am not certain.
It can also be dissolved in glacial(concentrated) acetic acid or formic acid. Both of these are very irritating but maybe less dangerous than phenol.

Regards,
Lukas.

DO NOT DO IT period

Are we using shellac for wire insulation?

The whole deal with phenol is the solubility of PET in the former, thus adhering polyamide to PET. Alcohol soluble polyamides are well known and easily obtainable, for instance iron-on fabric glue strips. Go buy some and check solubility in alcohol (methanol, ethanol, propanol, all will do). Another substance that does the trick is old mothballs which are even more toxic.

DO NOT DO it, period.

Besides one need to master graphite coating beforehand which is not a spray and forget operation.

Why don not one surface treat PET as it was suggested in this tread multiple times and just ethanol soluble nylon - still PIA to do, BTW.
I've stumbled on use of yet another odd material, capacitor paper, sometimes used by RC guys for their planes, should work, extremely light and thin 1/4 mil easily. Do not need coating... Some speakers are made with paper cones, are not they?
Have fun

The whole deal with phenol is the solubility of PET in the former, thus adhering polyamide to PET. Have fun

Have tried with phenol a long time ago. The result wasn't any better than with formic acid : in short , adhesion as poor. It doesn't seem that PET films dissolve in phenol, at least within shot time frame.
Perhaps concentration, application and surface preparation are critical.

Have tried with phenol a long time ago. The result wasn't any better than with formic acid : in short , adhesion as poor. It doesn't seem that PET films dissolve in phenol, at least within shot time frame.
Perhaps concentration, application and surface preparation are critical.
Additive free nylon solution sticks well if baked at neat melting point of PET.
Definitely some trickery is involved: membrane sagged :-(

From my experience If you heat the Mylar too much the tension of the film is lost even more, also tensile strength is compromised. You must be careful with that.
I can say that Elvamide appears to stick to mylar very well if membrane is prior cleaned with acetone. I have tried 5% solution in 95% ethanol/water mixture. Gelling time is just a half an hour or so.
However pure elvamide 8061 did not show any measurable conductive properties so I stopped experimenting with it. The recipe of washing the film with soapy water before can possibly improve this to degree IMO.

Regards,
Lukas.

I destroyed the mylar taking apart the ML Sequel II panels

Hello Friends, ... yes, I know, it was August when I said you to be going to do that... but I then waited for the Lycron Christal arrived in October.

Well, today I finally decided to start the job taking apart the Martin Logan Sequel II panels.

Unfortunately, even if I tried to do the best possible being very gently, opening the stators the mylar broken (to both panels).

Herein are the pictures of one panel, but the other is the same.

11122012360.jpg 11122012362.jpg

Any suggestion about? Can I try to keep it in place with some adjustments or have I to replace it?

In the case of enforced replacement, what shall have I to use? I knew there was some 3um Mylar (probably the thinnest on the market), is it the best?
And how to get instruction on the mylar replacement?

Many thanks in advance!
Regards, Andrea

Thay well still work...i have a old pr sl3 panels... look the same.. thay been working for years... you can just leve them as thay are...are cut what left out of the tar mylar.....clen an put the coaeting on..... an new bias feeds an youll get more out than when thay were new... just put tape on the sides of the panels to hold them togather.. so you can get them back apart ...the wood real will hold the togather... or re-do the panes.....i would pass...

Look how clen the mylar is you must have clen it....you my not even need to re-coat....just run new bias feeds...get alumn type duck tape an cut strips....it works gerate.....good luck

Last edited:
Is nylon 6,6 or nylon 6 soluble in isopropyl alcohol, antifreeze, or hydrogen peroxide?

6.6 is too generic to describe the product

It's probably not soluble in spirits... see post 703

soluble staff is on avail on eBay: would you rather put some effort before asking?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrostatic-Speaker-Conductive-Coating-Elvamide-120g-/280534535726

In regard to h2o2:
File:Hydrogen peroxide 30 percent on skin.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Walter HWK 109-509 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GUGL will save us ;-)

Isopropyl Alcohol - Grainger Industrial Supply

Green 1 qt. Denatured Alcohol-QKGA75003 at The Home Depot

Last edited:
I don't wish to buy the expensive Elvamide off eBay as generic nylon in phenol was the original material.
I am not a chemist, but did put in effect and those chemicals mentioned seemed to have an effect on nylon.
Some sites say methanol has no effect on nylon 6,6.
6.6 is too generic to describe the product

It's probably not soluble in spirits... see post 703

soluble staff is on avail on eBay: would you rather put some effort before asking?
Electrostatic Speaker Conductive Coating Elvamide 120g | eBay
/QUOTE]

Tinkering with the coatings cost me a lot comparing to the ebay item and final off the shelf staff even more - no samples, only big bottle on avail. Shared some with others. No regrets whatsoever: a LOT of fun!
I.e. you'll spent much more than you were going to if you try to find solution negating what collective has to offer...
Try to solicit a sample and hone the negotiation skills along the way ;-)
Same goes to phenol... also it's toxic and, therefore, "unobtanium"
BTW nylon fishing line is as good as it goes for a nylon source

Attachments

• carbolic-acid.jpg
    carbolic-acid.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 367
I have a problem, I ordered the Licron crystal from MCM, they just emailed me and said they cannot ship chemicals to Canada. Only place I found here was by the case of 12, little more than I need :) Al

You may have already tried this but you can go the the Techspray web page (link below) and use the "Find Distributor" tab (bottom right) to pull up a list of distributors in Canada... perhaps one of them would sell you a single can
TECHSPRAY | Products

Last edited:
Successful story! The ML Sequel II destroyed mylar-panels back again to play!

Dear Tyu,

many, many thanks for your kind and outstanding support!

Thanks to your tips my "almost destroyed" Sequel II panels are now back to play and even better than before!

Herein a picture of the work-in-progress last-step:
14122012367.jpg

And here is the Sequel II reassembled and playing:
14122012372.jpg

I will wait a couple of day for the Licron Chrystal final curing and for the mechanical adjustment, then I will measure the "new" response/performance and I will post.

Again, many thanks to you and to all the others who helped me in the past.
Kind regards,
Andrea

I have a problem, I ordered the Licron crystal from MCM, they just emailed me and said they cannot ship chemicals to Canada. Only place I found here was by the case of 12, little more than I need :) Al

You may try as well

Staticide® ESD Safety ShieldTM in aerosol spray (8 oz. can) | Arbell Electronics Distributor

Static Control

ACL Staticide Anti-Static Floor Finish, Static Detection Meters | EIS

Look for #6500 product, tried by more than 3 people, works, 8oz aerosol can, water dilutable. You may ask for 6300S or 6400S, which are 4oz. plain bottles. 6300Q is a quart - too much

Hi AndreaT,

I see some wrinkles in the diaphragm in photos. Have you Stretched and removed them, to the last one? Wrinkles give buzzing noises and harsh character to the sound.

By the way, licron crystal is also water soluble, as it seems, even the version that comes in a spray can. Tried isopropanol as well but that just spoiled it completely.

Regards,
Lukas.