ESL Diaphragm coating - Page 80 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2014, 12:47 PM   #791
diyAudio Member

You can use any good (very)low tack painters masking tape.

I have used (in the past) some pieces of common printer (copy) paper with the edge of one side coated with 3M's sticky spray.

The stuff is so Shi%^$ anymore that it will only stick once anyhow.......How's that for low tack!!!

I would coat the whole area of the diaphragm not just part of it!

The spacers are insulating and once it is cured it won't bond to the ones touching the diaphragm.

Since you are coating the diaphragm it is Okay as it is just laying on top of the spacers.
And the ones contacting the finished side are out of the picture at this moment and of course do not spray those just the diaphragm.

The stuff is not cheap, But, Don't be stingy with it either.

Else it may not be effective as there is a limit as to high of a resistance of the coating you can create where it won't work well or if at all.

You will be surprised how little you will actually use when you are done !!

FWIW

jer
Old 29th January 2014, 01:08 PM   #792
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforeman View Post
Getting back to basics.
In applying the coating. If using spray on licron, you only want the center part of the membrane coated with licron, with a small tab for connection to the bias supply wire.

And need to avoid getting the licron near the (or on the spacers). What do you use to mask off the area of the membrane that you don't want treated?
Thanks,
Paul
The photo shows my diaphragms masked off and still wet after spraying on one wet coat of Licron Crystal. I used house painter's blue masking tape and only masked a .25" wide area along the perimeter of each panel. The mating stators have a copper foil charge ring which contacts the periphery areas of the Licron coating.

At the time it hadn't occurred to me to mask off the areas where the center support spacers [on the mating stators] would contact the diaphragms. I used .062 thick 3M urethane foam tape spacers. And when I assembled the panels, the foam tape bonded instantly to the Licron coating and hasn't come loose in the four years since. This attests to the strength of the Licron-to-diaphragm bond as well.

If using epoxy-bonded solid spacers (or any other than foam tape), it might be best to mask off the corresponding areas on the diaphragms--- better safe than sorry.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th January 2014, 02:23 PM   #793
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Never get tired of looking at these Diyed Killer Flat ESL panels.....just a great job...jazzman ...lov to hear your pr.....
I have never Mask off any mylar......i coat all the panel by hand...........but if your spraying...i would say it a must!
thanks for the pic from your site ..... an your help geting the best out of our Diy panels...........
Old 14th August 2014, 01:02 AM   #794
diyAudio Member

Dear all
here is the way to produce magic bullet coating for ESL
How To Make Graphene With Soap, Water And A Blender - YouTube
Once you get the graphene colloid you can turn whatever coating you like into one you need
Have fun!
Old 14th August 2014, 01:35 AM   #795
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

may be hard to hit good hi MegaOhm/sq for constant charge operation with graphene
Old 14th August 2014, 01:08 PM   #796
diyAudio Member

http://www.nanocyl.com/en/content/do...QUACYL-V05.pdf

Last edited by alexberg; 14th August 2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 15th August 2014, 03:47 AM   #797
diyAudio Member

Have you guys try this?

Click the image to open in full size.

I've been using it on all my headphones for over a year already. It's really cheap and good. The resistance is around 100 M ohm per square.

Wachara C.
Old 15th August 2014, 06:05 AM   #798
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexberg View Post
Dear all
here is the way to produce magic bullet coating for ESL
How To Make Graphene With Soap, Water And A Blender - YouTube
Once you get the graphene colloid you can turn whatever coating you like into one you need
Have fun!
Hi,

Interesting stuff. Are there any advantages over the typical carbon loaded X coating like Quad uses on the 63?

AJ
Old 15th August 2014, 02:43 PM   #799
diyAudio Member

My understanding is that fiber-like carbon particles are much better in creating electrically conductive structure vs sphere or flake like particles of carbon black. So the same conductivity can be achieved at lesser carbon content. Industrial applicability comes from the transparency of resulting coating.

Hide this!Advertise here!