ESL Diaphragm coating - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 04:16 PM   #731
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

An i would like to thank all.... that give us this great info on ESLs here at diy audio it the best.....from tranfourmers to coating....crossovers....you name it..... it all here for anyone to use.....an even pix.... life is good....hoho
Old 21st December 2012, 10:28 AM   #732
AndreaT is offline AndreaT  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Good +10dB output level and normal linearity after recoating

Hello Friends,

herein is the frequency response of my Re-coated Sequel II panels, taken at 30 cm on-axis and at the center of each panel.

20121217 restored es panel response.png

The panels are directly driven at the high-voltage transformer, the HPF is removed/bypassed in my Sequel because I am using a multi-ampli active xover schema.

The measured frequency responses show that the linearity is matching the legacy (native) response: the 6dB/oct roll-off from 4 kHz is normal for this panel.

So, after the re-coating using the Licron Chrystal, the frequency response didn't change, while the output level improved of about 10 dB (you cannot see from this graph only,... go back to my previous post and compare the levels).

In conclusion, the washing only I don't suggest to anyone, unless the panels are very dirty due to bad maintenance.
Indeed I kindly suggest to re-coat the panels in order to really get back the almost original performance.

Again, thanks to all for the support had so far
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Andrea
Old 21st December 2012, 02:38 PM   #733
diyAudio Member

Another great success story !!!!

I Love it !!!

jer
Old 26th December 2012, 03:51 AM   #734
diyAudio Member

Has anyone heard about or tried this coating?

For high conductive coatings Clevios™ PH 1000 or its ready to use formulation, Clevios™ FE-T can be used. These materials offer not only high conductivities but also exceptional levels of transparency.
A conductivity of 900-1000 S/cm (approx. 200 Ohm /sq) can be reached by using Clevios™ PH 1000
Thanks Al
Old 26th December 2012, 05:59 AM   #735
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post

For high conductive coatings Clevios™ PH 1000 or its ready to use formulation, Clevios™ FE-T can be used. These materials offer not only high conductivities but also exceptional levels of transparency.
A conductivity of 900-1000 S/cm (approx. 200 Ohm /sq) can be reached by using Clevios™ PH 1000
Thanks Al
200 ohms per square is a conductor for your diaphragm you need a very high resistance even a gig ohm is not too high. If you can ask about diluting to achieve a small fraction of this given value that would be ok see what they say about some sort of solvent dilution of the product. You never know it might be possible. What kinds of substrates is this product intended for? Ask the manufacturer specifically if the product will bond to a mylar (polyester) surface with a surface tension of 45 dynes per cm. squared. That's a tough one, that's much smoother than polished plate glass. Even a normal felt marker won't work on that smooth a surface because there is not enough surface tension for the ink to get a grip. Let us know what they say.
I had some results which were very good with a couple of ultra high polish detailer type car products designed specifically for polyester top coats. Sorry I cant recall the type I got the samples from a customer who ownes a paint shop for very high end vehicles. That might be a direction to look into. Let us know what you find out. Best regards Moray James.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:40 AM   #736
diyAudio Member

Well, the price quote of pedot based material by the company mentioned above was, to put it politely, outrageous: something like 10^4 per liter
If the screen size is like 25 in sq it's probably ok, taking into account the final application.
It was 3 years ago, though, things might of changed.
In regard to adhesion PET is specifically mentioned in datasheet.
Presence of DMSO brings some hope as well.
Dilution of such high conductance material may kill the adhesion.
Old 26th December 2012, 12:46 PM   #737
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Look i can get the techspray LC Shipt to my house for $45.US.... that about 8 16"X48" panels are more....help me out here...
What the DOWN side to LC coating???..........

I have the low cost way for me to go with the Turtle wax F21SP...one of these well do 3-400 panels for $2.99 ....an i have even put some Graphite in some of this...Wow.......But i got to get the LC....
is it that LC is a spay....
Thanks for any an all info on ESLs
Old 27th December 2012, 05:41 PM   #738
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Thanks Al
Their antistatic coatings seems to be way better for Esl:s

Clevios? Antistatic Coatings
Old 27th December 2012, 08:47 PM   #739
diyAudio Member

Well I have 5 gal pail of staticide 6300, use it to polish the lino floors here, yes I have grounded floors. But I will take TYU's advice and get the Licron crystal spray, as it's proven performer. I also have a roll of 6um c mylar 24"w x 125' long, plus also elvamide, thats what they used on the Infinity servo statics that seen voltages of 25k, so when delivered here am set to go Al
Old 28th December 2012, 01:40 AM   #740
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well I have 5 gal pail of staticide 6300, use it to polish the lino floors here, yes I have grounded floors. But I will take TYU's advice and get the Licron crystal spray, as it's proven performer. I also have a roll of 6um c mylar 24"w x 125' long, plus also elvamide, thats what they used on the Infinity servo statics that seen voltages of 25k, so when delivered here am set to go Al
Since you've got both on avail, can you let us know in terms of resistance per thickness and ease of application?
Would not you expect that the durability of coating that stands against wear and tear on the floor should be unsurpassable...
P.S. Would you paint your car using aerosol cans?

Hide this!Advertise here!