ESL Diaphragm coating

Hi,

it was my impression, that surface tension of the coating fluid decrased when I used foam brushes wiping several times. With the first wipe there were still many streaks, becoming less with every wipe till a consistent fluid layer developed.
Plasma treatment of course is still a way preferable procedure, but so far the appliance of a suitable coating with a foam brush/sponge didn't let me down.

jauu
Calvin

Reactions: 1 user
Very likely you damaged the Mylar on a microscopic level.

Experimentally rubbing PET 20 to 30 times with melamine foam at a force between 10N ... 20N will macroscopically slightly blur the surface of the PET.
While coating, one and the same membrane aera may be wiped 2 to 3 times (max.). The applied force (measured!) is in an order between 0.1N ... 0.2N (max.).

So does the the Mylar really get microscopically damaged by using a melamine foam brush for coating? IMO, not very likely. But I think that we both agree that long term results are inherently a question of future outcome*. So for now, there might be no clear answer if there is a risk of damage when resorting to melamine foam applicators for coating, or if there isn't.

For other tastes of potential membrane surface modifications see:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/membrane-preparation-for-coating.388623/post-7080358

* In accordance to Monty Python's wyse and precise police officer's talk: "If there were fewer robbers, then there wouldn't be wo many. Numerically speaking"