ESL Diaphragm coating

Re: Corona Treatment Electrode

bolserst said:

You might take a look at US Patent 4693869 to get an idea what electrode geometry might work well for attaching to a tesla coil for surface treatment.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=S2...t&zoom=4&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#PPA1,M1

Looks like the inventor disclosed an improved form of one of his electrodes in a follow on US Patent 5128547

http://www.google.com/patents?id=5E0jAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0

Sy: I can certainly understand your concern about the heat output of most high intensity UV lamps. It's a good point, especially when considering the application to thin mylar.

bolserst: Thanks for the links. Very interesting. I'll have to take a look at the Tesla coil I have access to and see if I can figure out what frequency it operates at.

Few

Capaciti said:
Now I use EC-Coating from martin-Jan and my experience of about 200 ESL's produced is the same way excellent. The only thing to mention is, that it took me a lot of trials to get it applied without stripes in the coating. Those stripes might not be critical functional, but i want thecoating to look as perfect as possible.

Summary: If you need a coating that works, last long, easy to apply.......take EC-Coating.

So what did you do to apply the coating without stripes?

I agree that the EC coating is pretty good, although I would prefer a coating with a lot higher surface resistance! I suppose I don't have to explain why? But those do not seem to be available, except the nylon stuff. I suppose it's too hard to make a reliable coating of around 1E11?

I wish I knew more about chemicals (my background is physics, not chemistry)...

Hello Arend-Jan,

I have yet to see measurements of ESLs (with a high resistance bias-resistor, also acting as a safety device) which actually proves that around 10exp9 is not high enough in reality. I am aware of the distortion theory but other issues are important as well. Although possible I had to decide, as we are talking about a DIY niche market and I have other things to do as well.

Hi Martin-Jan

for your convenience, here is the plot of the distortion vs SR. The panel is an electrostatic headphone made of circuit board.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I quote from a previous post:

"I redid the experiment with the low S/R (1E7) coating and a series resistor of 1E9. With and without the series resistor was only a very small difference in distortion level, absolutely not comparable to what we have seen with the 4E11 coating.

Then I constructed a 5E10 Ohm series resistor but could not get the same level of charge on the diaphragm, and as a consequence the output was about -10dB compared to before. Distortion levels were still up high as with the 1E9 series resistor. "

Call me a dreamer if you like...

What would this forum be like if we start sharing everything we know?

I get the impression that we like to talk about stuff in here, but when it comes to providing actual information it often gets rather quiet. Or is it just me?
In other words: I don't think we have made any progress in this thread except for the corona treatment device posted by SY.

I understand that for those involved in making a buck from this, that there are some things that won't be shared. There are some things I won't share either, so I leave those subjects at home. There is not much point in bringing them up without the intend to give full disclosure.

Wouldn't you agree that we could all make much more progress if we work together? You may think you're the smartest kid on the block, but believe me we could all learn from each other! Look for example at the open source community. Do you think Linux could have gotten where it is today if those developers were all keeping secrets from each other? Think about it.

Now like I said I'm no saint, I have my "secrets". But I sometimes wish I didn't.

Reactions: 1 user