ESL Diaphragm coating - Page 67 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 04:29 AM   #661
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

All i can say... some one better look at this Turtle wax..F21..Super Protectant..
Best top end i have ever got out of any coating. for esls
..i have had it in miny setup for over 25 weeks...latest CLS...over the top...
an it get better with time...nuts i no....... i need other to give input ...
$3. US well do 100 panels...thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 04:35 AM   #662
diyAudio Member

I may try it on my newest build.
After I get it running I will build a second set of frames for it and compare it

I am glad to hear that it is still working after this long!!

I had thought that some one had stated that it had started to diminish after a bit of time.

Cheers !!

jer
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:59 PM   #663
diyAudio Member

thanks...geraldfryjr...were talkin litte coate... i go over the mylar two time...thats why the topend is good i gess
i use whit noise..to see how the high frc are on any given ESL panels...it all most like it pinatarts the mylar...but that cantbe ...can it?
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:38 PM   #664
diyAudio Member

As far as I know nothing really penetrates mylar or bonds to it very well.

How transparent is it, Is it more clearer than the Licron Crystal that I use?

jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WITH FLASH.jpg (57.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg WITHOUT FLASH.jpg (58.6 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 3rd December 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 04:27 PM   #665
diyAudio Member

Yes on the Martinlogan you can tell it on the panels...thay look new..Here what i have found...
is any coating that looks like what you have posted work fine but push the mid out..thats ok...it works..an you can get vary high SPL..An some well like the sound.. Even me....but after time i hear that the top is rolled down..
this is how i hear...not sure we all hear the same..but the bass tranzits start at the Vary top on these ESL panels.... thay must have as mucht topend as i can get..here in fl..the air gets wet eze...thay sound dull..that why if you cant open the panels up an clen it or re-coate for get ESLs...
now with the Acoustats panels have a larger gap from the mylar an the panel.. for get the wool type pads on the back...
but with mods to the 121 interfaces.. there good to go with AC on. .as we all now the dryer the air is the better Any ESL works...thanks for the pix
Old 5th December 2012, 04:31 PM   #666
diyAudio Member

tyu, can you tell me how you apply it and did you put two coats of it on in quick succession,have not used it before and am repairing some esl for a friend and have not great results with elvamide.cheers
Old 5th December 2012, 05:25 PM   #667
diyAudio Member

Never read the whole thread, but I was thinking of building a electrostat. Wouldn't roughing a stretched mylar film with a 1000grit 6" body sander make suitable surface for coats to stick to? Al
Old 5th December 2012, 05:55 PM   #668
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes on the Martinlogan you can tell it on the panels...thay look new
The Martinlogan film is sputtered, seemingly the coating technique that will last for the longest!

Sputtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Targets for the coating industry | PLANSEE
Old 5th December 2012, 06:21 PM   #669
diyAudio Member

I used tishu..it not hard to work with...i clen the mylar with water...spray the tishu with the t. f21... spray it in a 1-2" line.. One time...an just pull from one sider to the other... not from top to bottem... i go over it twice ...lite coates.. so lite you dont see....Put it togather an play....If you put it on hever i think you get more mids...
I had said befor.... i think it fill the vary small poars in the mylar...look if glass has small pores... mylars dose..
Look ...i think most coatings do this....
But this work good for me.....
Last night i had FM on...thay were playing LPs...gofi...i could here all the surfus noise... like i was plaing Lp,s...Nuts i no....$3. you can do 100 big panels ... i am going to get a nother bottel ...the my chang somte thing in this stuff......
Like Moray James said to me long ago there a lot of wax type coatings out there that well work... it has not been tryed...good luck i hope it works for you..
Old 5th December 2012, 06:29 PM   #670
diyAudio Member

Yes on the Martinlogan you can tell it on the panels...thay look new..Here what i have found...

This not right...Should have said
.Yes on the Martinlogan you[ cant] tell it on the panels...thay look new..Here what i have found...
can you put this coating on so you can see it .....yes..but thats not need...

An as for how long ML coating last... i can say...i have open up about 10pr ML panels that had low ouytput... most had no chang in output after clening.... water only..An after new bias feeds...one up left an right side of the panels.....not just the ML way...just up the right side...hell thay could put one on the right an left...so new out of the box you would hear them the same...... with only one feed on the right.... one panel was lower than the other... To your ear...new

But then with this coating... Or could be any good coating...thay sound better than any were new....All these ML panels were over 10years old....
It is more the new Bias feeds... that turn the panels on....Any good coating well work... if ML had put the bias feeds all the way around the panels like thay almost did with the biger panels like this pix of the CLS...it just a U bias feed....Thay would have got the output that these GReat panel can putout...but then thay would have not sold New panels...good luck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0408self_pics0145_small[1].JPG (398.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg ml-cls1_2[1].jpg (43.0 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by tyu; 5th December 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!