ESL Diaphragm coating - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2011, 03:42 AM   #471
diyAudio Member

BTW
for the lazy ones there is 6500 in aerosol can. Not recommended by rep: "bottled is better" The smallest 6300 is 1 quart... 6400 even sticks to olefines (low surface energy plastics) such as PP and PE. Coating can be made extremely thin by dilution... Stretched coated Mylar to the break point: no flaking
Later,
Alex
P.S. 2 years so far so good.
Old 13th December 2011, 06:02 AM   #472
diyAudio Member

I would like very much to try some of the other ones.
Especially some of the non aerosol types as they would be much cheaper to use.
The stuff I have were free samples and they are going to run out someday.

jer
Old 14th December 2011, 03:41 PM   #473
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
I can measure the resistance of the old formula with my 20megohm setting (the highest setting) on my meter but the Crystal is much higher than that as it won't register anything even with the probes nearly touching or using some large surface pads.
Here are my Licron Crystal measurements from back in 2009.
ESL Diaphragm coating

2E9 ohm/sq when applied with an airbrush.
Old 14th December 2011, 03:49 PM   #474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexberg View Post
BTW
for the lazy ones there is 6500 in aerosol can. Not recommended by rep: "bottled is better" The smallest 6300 is 1 quart... 6400 even sticks to olefines (low surface energy plastics) such as PP and PE. Coating can be made extremely thin by dilution... Stretched coated Mylar to the break point: no flaking
Later,
Alex
P.S. 2 years so far so good.
Is there a reason you prefer the the Staticide 6300 to Licron Crystal?
I have used both and can't say I have a preference of one over the other.
Licron is a little cheaper and certainly easier to source in the US.

Both adhere to Mylar well with no tendency to flake or delaminate when the Mylar is stretched.
Both provide a nice high resistance coating.

In a previous post you mention that the Staticide 6300 is water based and here you mention diluting it.
Have you found that diluting with water actually increases the resistance for a given coating thickness?
If so, that might be useful.
Old 15th December 2011, 01:52 PM   #475
diyAudio Member

I feel a little bit stupid after seeing the above posts.
But after searching for many hours I still can't find any reasonably cheap source for a good dissipative coating in the Netherlands.

(with cheap I mean that I don't like to pay >100$ for a gallon of paint, which is a bit too much for less than 1m^2 of membrane to paint :P)

Does anybody know a good source for me to order a coating? I'd prefer if it is not in a spray can, so I can dilute it easily myself...
Old 15th December 2011, 07:11 PM   #476
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweetvoetje View Post
I feel a little bit stupid after seeing the above posts.
But after searching for many hours I still can't find any reasonably cheap source for a good dissipative coating in the Netherlands.

(with cheap I mean that I don't like to pay >100$ for a gallon of paint, which is a bit too much for less than 1m^2 of membrane to paint :P)

Does anybody know a good source for me to order a coating? I'd prefer if it is not in a spray can, so I can dilute it easily myself...
You might send MJ Dijkstra a message as he used to sell an EC coating that worked well.
ESL bias supply the GE way

I agree about not wanting to by a gallon of coating when you only need a small amount.
What I have done is buy the small spray cans and switch the nozzle out for one from a carb cleaner spray can that has a long thin spray tube attached. I then stick the tube thru a block of dense open cell foam and push it down firmly over the top of a small glass jar. This way you can fill up the jar with just the amount you need, and dilute to your liking.
Old 16th December 2011, 04:30 AM   #477
diyAudio Member

Well I've spend much more on different kinds of... how to say it politely... junk, that would not work at all, including phenol, elvamide, floor finishes, static control liquids... carbon blacks, chineese inks, acrylic and PVA varnishes, aussie coating... just because everybody was so uptight (like they are making living out of that)...
Secondly it appeared that I can obtain 1 quart of 6xxx much easier than Licron: just speaking to the rep.
As I've said earlier water based staff can be air shipped... and is SLOW drying - much easier to spread.
6300 was the only one which makes easily reproducible and predictable results like eraudio coating...
Old 16th December 2011, 04:44 AM   #478
diyAudio Member

I too had spent too much time and money trying different recipes until I found 6300. I didn't pay a dime for the 6300 though. I simply asked for a sample and they gladly gave a small bottle to me.

Wachara C.
Old 16th December 2011, 02:13 PM   #479
diyAudio Member

I've called the distributor of techspray in the Netherlands, but I'll have to wait until monday for an answer.
But if it fails I'm going to ask for a sample. It might be the only way to get it...
Old 16th December 2011, 03:13 PM   #480
diyAudio Member

NEFAB BIJL B.V.
Hermesweg 28
PostBus 53
NL-3770 AB Barneveld
Tel: +31 342 49 01 47
Fax: + 31 342 41 68 45
email : info@nefab.nl

Hide this!Advertise here!