ESL Diaphragm coating

I'm not sure if Techspray "Licron Crystal" is available where you live but it's easy to apply, dries clear to about 2 microns thickness, it sounds great in my speakers and I haven't noticed any degradation when it rains. The label says it's not affected by humidity.

Hi Charlie,

I've been searching for Licron Crystal for quite sometime, but unfortunately, I can't find anywhere in Thailand that sells it. :(

Wachara C.

Hi Charlie,

I've been searching for Licron Crystal for quite sometime, but unfortunately, I can't find anywhere in Thailand that sells it. :(

Wachara C.

Why on Earth you are looking for a particular brand?
Just think about the industry/particular application... which has to be the same as for the product in question... and check the web.
I have posted about a dosen different brands of the same (by tds) product. Get a sample and see for yourself. That's how I've got the one...
And it's on avail @ xyz.co.th

Why on Earth you are looking for a particular brand?
Just think about the industry/particular application... which has to be the same as for the product in question... and check the web.
I have posted about a dosen different brands of the same (by tds) product. Get a sample and see for yourself. That's how I've got the one...
And it's on avail @ xyz.co.th

Hi Alexberg,

You make your point. Thanks for that. I'll check with them.

Wachara C.

Hi,

I opened up my ESL to check. I found that the edges of my stators are wet. My observation tells me that the rubber glue that I use for gluing my plastic spacer to the stator doesn't like hot and humid weather. It attracts water in the air and mixes with its glue and becomes sticky water. I guess the wet stators make them leaky. So, my problem has nothing to do with the diaphragm coating.

Wachara C.

Just some questions and an idea

I have read most of the posts here ans ESL's sound very interesting, but i have a few questions.

For coatings i noticed that nylon is applied to PET films to form a high resistance coating. I just wanted to know why do we forget the PET film and just go with a nylon film instead?

Now for surface treatment of the film prior to there is talk of corona treatment for surface roughing. Could not a fine abrasive do a similar job as a pretreatment?

Oh a long time ago I made what could be described as plasma gun using a ignition coil and Ball point pen and aquarium pump. The tip of ink tube was connected to the tower a of the, the body was ground connection. Switch on the power and the air blew out the spark until became purple hue (corona?) I was thinking it could be use to make a "corona gun" for surface treatment.

I have not seen a nylon film that is available as I have had the same thought.

jer

My $.02

Electrical properties aside, I think nylon would be unsuitable for ESL's because it's not dimensionally stable. I regularly work with 2-mil nylon films of various formulations and all are extremely hygroscopic (affinity for water). If I cut a piece [let's say] 3 feet square in an air conditioned, low-humidity environment and then expose it to warm humid air for a short time, it's length and width grows by 1/2 inch. In low humidity the film is as hard and crinkly as cellophane and in high humidity as soft and limp as a dish rag and stretchy like rubber.

Also in my profession we print all of our full scale engineering drawings on Mylar film because it's strong and dimensionally stable and unaffected by moisture or the normal variations in temperature.

For the diaphragm coating I like the Techspray Licron Crystal.
Jazz

What's in Downy liquid?
The stuff works, though still experimenting with it.

Not sure what's in Downy Liquid but I've read that some anti-static laundry products contain compounds called "quaternary ammonium salts" that render surfaces slightly conductive. Some anti-static products attract water to surfaces from humidity in the air for the same purpose.

I've not tried any of those anti-static laundry or fabric products but I have tried a liquid dishwashing detergent containing sodium laurel sulfate; which worked very well-- not sure how it would hold up over time (some say it's durable) but I certainly sounded wonderful when I tested it on a temporary panel.

If you can get a can of Licron Crystal ($50)... that stuff is quick and easy, sticks like a bandit, it's clear, dries to a thin coating about 1.5 microns thick and sounds wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Pulcinella's Secret OR Christmas Present

Try to google something like static control products and/or dissipative coating - you well may discover quite a few coatings. Some of them are transparent. Pressurized spray can is not the best packaging either.
Alex

Here it goes (;) So nobody would sell it by once for a price of a quart:hohoho:)

A year from now, I've provided some hints (like the one quoted above) on readily available coating but chinsettawong was the only one who's listened. And, subsequently used it as well... with success. The coating is called... well, picture is better than words. Looks, smells and behaves almost the same as Aussie staff. In contrast to Li...on, it's water based... easier to be shipped. Exhibits semiconductor-like behavior: the higher the temperature the lower the resistance... Can be naturally dried or baked

Merry X-mas
P.S. it's cheaper than Li...n

Attachments

• A008.jpg
    A008.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Very cool, Alexburg!

I have recently found the licron available in gallon jugs as well,

Techspray 1756-G Licron ESD-Safe Coat,

Although it is not exactly cheap but it is at least 1/2 to 1/4 of the cost per volume of the stuff in a spray can, and, a little goes a long way.
I think I have found it a little cheaper than the link I just posted and it may be available in quarts as well,just have to do a bit more searching to find it.

jer :)

P.S. I think that it is only available in 1 gal. and 5 gal. jugs. :(

There is this version that comes in Quarts at 12 per case for the same cost of 1 gal. of the Crystal formula but I have not tried it yet,

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=4454&Tab=Products

if this is the same stuff it cost more than licron 1756, also it may have a lower resistance factor as the licron can be as high as 10^9 ohms and the Staticide is rated at a highest 10^7 ohms,But I am sure that it would work fine as well,

http://www.all-spec.com/products/63001.html

http://www.all-spec.com/downloads/acl_staticide/63001_041609s.pdf

Last edited: