ESL Diaphragm coating - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2007, 06:55 AM   #11
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have heard that vanadium oxyde (V2O5) is used on CRT TV-set screens to make it conductive against static charges, and it is soluble. Could it be perhaps used on diaphragms?
Old 15th October 2007, 08:31 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

All metaloxides I know of are not soluble unless cleaved into ions, I doubt this vanadiumoxid is.
Old 2nd November 2007, 02:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Has someone tried the Sony Patent US 5,590,212?

There, the PET-film is soaked for one or two hours in a water solvent solution containing a monomer (aniline, pyrrole or thiophene) and chemical oxidizer (for example ferric chloride) and a dopant. After washing the film with water you get a coating with a polymer layer as conductor. The patent claims that the coating is extremely thin (0,01-0,05 micron) and rarely affected by humidity.

Years ago I bought all the ingredients (pyrrole and ferric chloride) but never had the time for experimenting. So if someone needs some chemicals..but be prepared: not very healthy products!!

Nowadays I think we have very good ready made coatings and donīt have to waste our time with experimenting - so more time for finetuning our Eslīs! I have settled on the EC-coating from Martin-Jan now. Capacity is right: "Protect yourself from too many parameters not to be under control."

Harry
Old 3rd November 2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Calvin is online now Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

havenīt tried that, because I asked a Dr. of Chemistry about the possibilities of fabricating and handling of this īsoupī.
While the components themselves should be not a big problem to obtain, the handling is said to be a bit critical and very bad smelling.
Meanwhile such conducting polymeres can be obtained ready to use. So thereīs no need to DIY it Yourself.
Besides the ready to use stuff has one great advantage: You can sectorize the diaphragm, while the soaking method coates the complete membrane.
A completely coated membrane can easily lead to flashovers at the outer rim of the panel as well as in close proximity to every spacer.
Therefore a coating that spares out the spacers and the outer rim is advantageous.

jauu
Calvin
Old 3rd November 2007, 02:00 PM   #15
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Harry, polyaniline has been discussed before- you might want to search the forum for that discussion. It's not an optimal material for this application, especially if you live where the humidity varies.

The key point missed by 99% of amateur constructors and at least 75% of manufacturers is that the surface of the film is MUCH more important than the particular choice of coating. If the film is freshly corona or plasma treated and can achieve a surface energy of 45 dynes or higher, nearly any carbon-black loaded coating will stick heroically.
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

corona treatment for using carbon-black...... I don't want carbon black!
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:12 PM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A black with a high structure factor in a proper binder (choice is dependent on desired solvent and film type) will give a very uniform and high resistivity when thinned and sprayed or rolled on, assuming the film is surface treated properly (it almost never is). Graphite is a different animal and I don't think as well suited to low mass, high resistivity coatings.
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:40 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi

Do you know the average size of the carbon particles?
And what resistance?
If the pure compound has a very low resistance (for example graphite), it needs careful suspension to achieve high resistance, the higher the resistance, the more difficult this will be.
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:44 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Is the coating of the Esl-63 also carbon black?

I have attached two pictures. You see the coating of a nearly 20 year old Quad Esl-63 panel. These white points on the coating look like white ash. The foil is not damaged there. Before the rebuild you could hear sometimes a ticking sound. For sure a perfect leakage path at these points.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg esl-63_panel_1.jpg (46.9 KB, 1821 views)
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

and here is the second picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg esl-63_panel_2.jpg (47.0 KB, 1767 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!