ESL Diaphragm coating - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2009, 11:04 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Corona Treatment Electrode

Quote:
Originally posted by bolserst

You might take a look at US Patent 4693869 to get an idea what electrode geometry might work well for attaching to a tesla coil for surface treatment.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=S2w...ad=0_0#PPA1,M1

Looks like the inventor disclosed an improved form of one of his electrodes in a follow on US Patent 5128547

http://www.google.com/patents?id=5E0...mary_r&cad=0_0
Old 17th July 2009, 12:42 AM   #122
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Sy: I can certainly understand your concern about the heat output of most high intensity UV lamps. It's a good point, especially when considering the application to thin mylar.

bolserst: Thanks for the links. Very interesting. I'll have to take a look at the Tesla coil I have access to and see if I can figure out what frequency it operates at.

Few
Old 17th July 2009, 03:43 AM   #123
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Few, the one we tried was microwave-powered, so runs cooler than typical mercury arcs. It would still turn a 0.6 mil film to bacon, and only get to 35 dyne or so.... The company that was proposing it (this was a beta unit) gave the product up, not surprisingly.
Old 17th July 2009, 08:56 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Capaciti

Now I use EC-Coating from martin-Jan and my experience of about 200 ESL's produced is the same way excellent. The only thing to mention is, that it took me a lot of trials to get it applied without stripes in the coating. Those stripes might not be critical functional, but i want thecoating to look as perfect as possible.

Summary: If you need a coating that works, last long, easy to apply.......take EC-Coating.
So what did you do to apply the coating without stripes?

I agree that the EC coating is pretty good, although I would prefer a coating with a lot higher surface resistance! I suppose I don't have to explain why? But those do not seem to be available, except the nylon stuff. I suppose it's too hard to make a reliable coating of around 1E11?

I wish I knew more about chemicals (my background is physics, not chemistry)...
Old 17th July 2009, 09:44 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Hello Arend-Jan,

Not everybody likes the very high resistance.
I had to make a decision as keeping several types of coating on stock would be a dead end. The value I choose seemed to be the most alround.

Martin-Jan
Old 17th July 2009, 09:55 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Hi Martin-Jan,

but could you make a coating around 1E10-1E11? I would most definitely be interested in that! Did you see the earlier thread on distortion?

S/R and distortion
Old 17th July 2009, 10:18 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Hello Arend-Jan,

I have yet to see measurements of ESLs (with a high resistance bias-resistor, also acting as a safety device) which actually proves that around 10exp9 is not high enough in reality. I am aware of the distortion theory but other issues are important as well. Although possible I had to decide, as we are talking about a DIY niche market and I have other things to do as well.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:23 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Hi Martin-Jan,

I did do the measurements, they are in the thread that I pointed to. Or do you find them lacking in some way? I don't mind doing additional measurements if you tell me how they could be improved upon.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:27 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Clearly I have missed something
could you spare me time by providing the link?
Thanks
Old 17th July 2009, 11:22 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

The link is here: Asymmetric construction induced distortion in electrostatic speakers

Wachara C.

Hide this!Advertise here!