Ribbon tweeters at Jaycar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Jaycar once more have Foster ribbon tweeters in stock and after reading an archived thread i was hoping for some crossover guidance.
I have a quad of Vifa M11-00-08's that I would like to use ( these have been modified to 16R and rewound with doble layer voice coils ) i was contemplating a 2nd L/R low pass at 7k and was wondering if i need a third order high pass to protect these at hih power, also if anyone else has used these units , do I need to use more than 1 in a setup??
" The more i know , the more I know I know nothing"

They recommend 2nd order xover at 6400 - so you shouldnt need to go 3rd order to increase power handling, also considering there isnt much music above 6k (that requires a lot of power any way). They are rated at 50watts max, which is quite a ot really.
How loud do you want thme to play?
As for quantity the Vifa are about 88db 8ohm, so 2 parallel will be 94Db 4ohm, less baffle step will get your around 91Db - should be fine with a 90Db tweeter - but as you mentioned they have been rewound, this is going to alter their efficiency & freq. response, you will have to measure them & see.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Tomtt.
No I had them rewound by a speaker repair expert here in Reservoir, actually increased sensitivity while increasing impedance. Apparently the Vifa's were originaly a single winding and now double. 16 ohm nominal and I wil be using them MMTST, had a reply in another forum from Andy Graddon and MAY be going to use the Vifa neo tweeter instead,still a work in progress. i may use them with a 32mm tweeter that was sold by Jaycar a few years ago and cross at 8k, I want this system to play LOUD, the bass unit I am building to go with them will be 90dB plus and at least 600 watts RMS, and power isn't a problem at the moment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.