fullrange piezos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

My question:
Are there piezos that can play fullrange (needn`t be loud, nor high quality, just fullrange noise at headphone volume). A flat design and size about 1/2"x1/2" would be prefered.

I`m sorry I can`t say more at the current stage of my project.

Greets,
Oliver

I do neuropsych research using fMRI, and I often use piezos to provide vibrotactile stimulation since they can be safely used inside the scanner. I've been experimenting with using them to replace the headphones we currently use (the headset part connects to long tubes which are in turn connected to speakers that are a safe distance from the scanner, they kind of suck). The ones that I'm using provide full range sound and actually sound pretty good, even with the heat shrink covering I put on them. They cost $200 a piece though, which is kind of expensive for a diy project. The company also sells smaller, cheaper piezos in a variety of sizes that might work. Here's the ones I'm using:
http://www.piezo.com/prodbm7qm.html

I've noticed that you get much better low frequency performance if you strap them to your jaw and rely on bone conduction rather that put them directly over your ears.

Thanks for the link ablutophobe.

Unfortunately I would need a hundred of them. My project would have been an electromechanical organ with metal tongues like a Rhodes piano, just with continuous noise for excitation. Maybe in some years they have become cheaper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.