Would this make a suitable bias supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2007, 06:57 PM   #1
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Would this make a suitable bias supply?

I found this ion generator kit on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRONICS-KI...QQcmdZViewItem

The output looks adjustable. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Buying this as a kit would be very convenient for me..
Old 15th April 2007, 07:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It looks like it would provide adequate voltage at a safe current level. I'd say it's worth a try.

I_F
Old 15th April 2007, 10:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Not ment as a dis...

for the most part (most of the time) the air in your home is positively charged. This means that a positive supply to your diaphragms will help repel your rooms air and any contaminants in it. This will help to keep your diaphragms cleaner and minimise the amount of potentially conductive build up on your skins that will eventually lead to some bleed from the conductive section of the diaphragm to the frame. As a note all of Jim Strickland's (Acoustat) high voltage supplies were positive. Charge potential has no impact on the panels performance as far as I know. But if you can run positive it is probably woth your while. Regards.
Old 15th April 2007, 10:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Not ment as a dis...

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
for the most part (most of the time) the air in your home is positively charged. This means that a positive supply to your diaphragms will help repel your rooms air and any contaminants in it. This will help to keep your diaphragms cleaner and minimise the amount of potentially conductive build up on your skins that will eventually lead to some bleed from the conductive section of the diaphragm to the frame. As a note all of Jim Strickland's (Acoustat) high voltage supplies were positive. Charge potential has no impact on the panels performance as far as I know. But if you can run positive it is probably woth your while. Regards.
Hopefully I'll be able to swap the diodes around to chose whichever polarity
Old 15th April 2007, 10:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default should be possible...

looks like a very nice supply. Remember too if your budget is tight that you only need one supply to charge both panels. This does mean that you would have to run a supply wire to each speaker but makes for a 50% cost saving. Let us know how it works out for you and what kind of voltages you can get off of this supply. Regards.
Old 16th April 2007, 03:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well I have ordered one so we shall see what happens!
Old 17th April 2007, 05:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You have to like the side benefits of owning ESLs:
Quote:
By this, an air-regenerating effect as well as the binding of dust and bacteria will be achieved. A high share of negative air-ions is necessary for general well being: it reduces troubled sleep, aggressiveness, headache, sensitivity to changes in the weather, lack of concentration, etc.
(from the link to the supply)
Old 21st April 2007, 03:58 PM   #8
enilsen is offline enilsen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Is that a small blue spark in the second photo?

BTW. When you turn the power source off does it still hold a HV charge?

Looks very neat.
Old 21st April 2007, 04:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by enilsen
Is that a small blue spark in the second photo?

BTW. When you turn the power source off does it still hold a HV charge?

Looks very neat.

Yes that is indeed a small spark!

As for it retaining HV, it seems to. If I put a screwdriver onto the output after turning it off I get a small click. The capacitors certainly retain a charge as my poor finger found out!
Old 21st April 2007, 04:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Not ment as a dis...

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
I found that when I used to use a positive voltage on the diaphragm, the copper tape that carried the charge corroded, similar to the way that a car battery's positive terminal corrodes. When I switched to negative charge on the diaphragms, the corrosion ceased to be a problem.

Dust covers are the best solution to keeping drivers clean. They also keep out bugs.

I_F

Hide this!Advertise here!