Would this make a suitable bias supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not ment as a dis...

for the most part (most of the time) the air in your home is positively charged. This means that a positive supply to your diaphragms will help repel your rooms air and any contaminants in it. This will help to keep your diaphragms cleaner and minimise the amount of potentially conductive build up on your skins that will eventually lead to some bleed from the conductive section of the diaphragm to the frame. As a note all of Jim Strickland's (Acoustat) high voltage supplies were positive. Charge potential has no impact on the panels performance as far as I know. But if you can run positive it is probably woth your while. Regards.

Re: Not ment as a dis...

moray james said:
for the most part (most of the time) the air in your home is positively charged. This means that a positive supply to your diaphragms will help repel your rooms air and any contaminants in it. This will help to keep your diaphragms cleaner and minimise the amount of potentially conductive build up on your skins that will eventually lead to some bleed from the conductive section of the diaphragm to the frame. As a note all of Jim Strickland's (Acoustat) high voltage supplies were positive. Charge potential has no impact on the panels performance as far as I know. But if you can run positive it is probably woth your while. Regards.

Hopefully I'll be able to swap the diodes around to chose whichever polarity :)

You have to like the side benefits of owning ESLs:
By this, an air-regenerating effect as well as the binding of dust and bacteria will be achieved. A high share of negative air-ions is necessary for general well being: it reduces troubled sleep, aggressiveness, headache, sensitivity to changes in the weather, lack of concentration, etc.

(from the link to the supply)

enilsen said:
Is that a small blue spark in the second photo?

BTW. When you turn the power source off does it still hold a HV charge?

Looks very neat. :)

Yes that is indeed a small spark!

As for it retaining HV, it seems to. If I put a screwdriver onto the output after turning it off I get a small click. The capacitors certainly retain a charge as my poor finger found out!

Re: Not ment as a dis...

moray james said:

I found that when I used to use a positive voltage on the diaphragm, the copper tape that carried the charge corroded, similar to the way that a car battery's positive terminal corrodes. When I switched to negative charge on the diaphragms, the corrosion ceased to be a problem.

Dust covers are the best solution to keeping drivers clean. They also keep out bugs.

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.