2 tweeters for vertical dispersion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a stack of neo8's for a line array, and was planning to stick a raven tweeter in the middle of them to handle 7K+.

But given the raven's limited verical dispersion, I was thinking about using 2 (cheaper) neo3 tweeters oriented @ 90 degrees. Would there be any combing effects if I can get these within an inch of each other? Thanks.

Have you read Jim Griffin's line array paper?

While the B&G's have limited vertical dispersion, they cover the horizontal cylindrical dispersion super. Zapfe rated the cheaper neo3's as better than any of the good domes that he compared them to, and way above the other ribbons and planars he measured.

The key to vertical dispersion is in placing them on top of each other. Use at least a 35 inch line which will cover seated position listening to about someone who is 5'10 inches high. Putting one turned in the middle will not help. The interference of the sound streams will probably cause comb filter distortion that you WOULD NOT have had otherwise.

You could use Dayton ND20FA domes if you cut the flanges. Two 33 inch lines will cost you ABOUT $210. I've done this, and its great, but I have to qualify that my system uses a Rane electronic crossover 24 db/octave L-R slope, and is Tri-amped, so comparisons without these electronics are not really valid.

Zarathu
calipso@epix.net

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.