Transformer saturation & leakage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting the parts together for a Mono ESL to run Full Range. I will use another channel in the Pre out to an active X-over,high pass to nowhere, low pass to the woofer
to get low end. I have an Iron Core transformer for the ESL.
If the transformer saturates what will it sound like. If there is much Leakage, what will it sound like?

Regards

Lucius

If the transformer saturates it will basically short circuit your amplifier. Unless your amp has decent overcurrent protection that sounds like fuses and/or output transistors blowing... Better avoid that.

If you're using a woofer for the low end and an active crossover anyway what's the point of running the ESL fullrange? Much better to connect it to the highpass section of your crossover. That increaes ESL headroom, lowers IM distortion, avoids resonance problems and greatly decreases the risk of core saturation.

Leakage (you mean leakage inductance I assume) in the transformer affects high frequency response. At a certain freq the output peaks (depending on presence of resistance in prim/sec circuit) and then drops. At which frequency that happens is a function of leakage and total load capacitance.

Lucius said:
" Unless your amp has decent overcurrent protection that sounds like fuses and/or output transistors "

That wouldn't sound very good..... Thanks

Ahhh, sounds like another purist. Good!

We can't protect ourselves from stupidity at the expense of the finer points that make music sound real. Try my protection method; If it sounds bad turn it down.

Just an observation after a long day of forced corporate stupidity....

Regards, Mike,

Yep, and when carefully choosen that resistor also dampens the transformers resonance peak.

Don't make it too large or you will loose high frequency response. See attached graph to get the idea (R stepped from 0 to 5 ohms in 1ohm steps)

Attachments

• reso.gif
    reso.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 227
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.