Acoustat 1+1 from Spectra 1100?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried making an Acoustat 1+1 clone using the electrostatic panels from two Acoustat Spectra 11 or Spectra 1100 speakers?

I assume the 250Hz crossover for the Spectra panels could be bypassed so that a stacked pair of Spectra panels could be operated full range. Each panel would use its original wall wart and ultrasonic power supply. The high voltage wires would have to be extended.

The low bass limitations of the original 1+1 would also be present, I am sure.

Would the imaging using Spectra panels would be a worthwhile improvement compared to using the non-Spectra panels?

Not a good assumption.

The 1+1 used the two transformer 121 interface... that permits a wide band operation.

If you are willing to put up with the lack of low bass, and use a woofer below, then perhaps...

The major difference between the spectra and the "regular" is that the spectra drives the "center" of the cells full range and not the whole cell (if I have that right, having not discected a spectra to date). The attempt was to improve the HF distpersion...

My suggestion is that there is not a whole lot of difference in practice between running the spectra "full range" and as stock, UNLESS you have the other interface available.

Otherwise the only difference in the cells is the extra wires brought out from the stators. I have "spectra" vintage cells here that I run in my modificed space frame "III" acoustats - the stator wires are tied together as once continuous stator, that's all.

Having just worked on some 131/141 type interfaces, my view is that they blow by comparison to the 121 style... too much kludge imho.

If someone has a schematic of the spectra interface (probably a kludged 131/141 set up??) I'd love to see it.

...hope this sheds some light on it.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.