Planar tweeter and Vifa P17WJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a PT2 planar tweeter from Dayton loudspeakers and plan to use it with a Vifa P17WJ . I was wondering what kind of crossover I should use. The leaflet for the PT2 says that the crossover should be higher than a second order type if I crossed over lower than 3KHz.
I was planning on using a Linkwitz Riley 2nd order filter at 3KHz. This might be a problem for the Vifa. I would like to have your suggestions. In addition I was wondering if a TL enclosure would be better than the standard solution. I also planned to keep the tweeter outside the enclosure holding the Vifa.
Thanks.
Cheers.

It is important to avoid the resonance breakup of this tweeter at around 2k. It is not pretty. It really does require a pretty steep dropoff. I gather from what you are saying that you want to try to use a first order at 3k. It will not be satisfactory.

This tweeter will hiss and spit at you if crossed over to low or to shallow. You will not notice it on all tracks but every so often a really bad sound will emit.

What are you dealing with in the P17?

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.