high precision high voltage supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just was letting you all know I have a power supply on ebay that would probably be great for esl. I dont know how high of a voltage most of them use but the power supply I have on there is 0 30 kvdc no more then 200milivolt ripple. here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CPS-inc-130n-0-...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190077846347

I not sure if it would work sense I havn't messed with electrostatics but It would be good if you need a clean constant high voltage source.

Well just wanted to let you all know. Oh It's a power supply out of a scaning electron microscope and it works perfectly.

Nick

There is no need for tight regulation on the bias supply in an ESL. You can build or buy an adequate supply for about $10 that fits in a very small space and is powered by a wall wart so a piece of rack mounted equipment would be unnecessarily hard to deal with. The WAF would be even lower than it already is for ESLs.

Now if you were trying to make your room look like something from a monster movie,...

I_F

StanJ said:
Hi I_forgot,

if you really know where to get an HV-supply for 10 $, pls, let us all know. I ma afraid, that even if you build the HV-supply by using a voltage-multiplier the pieces will cost you a lot more than 10 $. ----or am I wrong?

Stan

Two small transformers ~ $4
pre-drilled PCB ~ $1
HV Caps ~ $3
diodes 1N4007 ~ $0.5
Neon bulb for leakage
indication ~$0.5
10 0.25W resistors ~$1

Total $10 :D

Coffee for two at fourbucks

tough to do much for ten bucks these days. If you want to try something interesting buy twenty one Henry chokes. Current capacity is not an issue for this tyoe of supply. Wire ten of them in series. I turned each one at right angle to the next to minimise coupling of fields. Then insert this ten section choke in series with the supply output right at the panel. This has proved to be one of the best mods I have done to my speakers in years.

StanJ said:
Hi I_forgot,
if you really know where to get an HV-supply for 10 $, pls, let us all know. I ma afraid, that even if you build the HV-supply by using a voltage-multiplier the pieces will cost you a lot more than 10 $. ----or am I wrong?

Stan

Here's one now: http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/me...AR&Product_Code=TM90PWS1164&Category_Code=PWS

My mistake! It's $8, not $10. It is a little large (4" x4" x 5"), but for $8 how can you go wrong?

Check surplus electronics dealers all over the web. There are a bunch of them. It isn't that hard to find them.

I_F

Bazukaz said:

Two small transformers ~ $4
pre-drilled PCB ~ $1
HV Caps ~ $3
diodes 1N4007 ~ $0.5
Neon bulb for leakage
indication ~$0.5
10 0.25W resistors ~$1

Total $10 :D

Ho heeej, the neon bulb why you need that one ? and where do you place it, because i thought the little thing on my HV unit had no real pupose but lettting you know the thing is on. can it elemenaty those nasty ticks i have been having if they are running for few days ?

by the way you can get those itemsn exteme cheap i spended allot more :(

I_Forgot said:

Here's one now: http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/me...AR&Product_Code=TM90PWS1164&Category_Code=PWS

My mistake! It's $8, not $10. It is a little large (4" x4" x 5"), but for $8 how can you go wrong?

Check surplus electronics dealers all over the web. There are a bunch of them. It isn't that hard to find them.

I_F

that looks nice, is this a pre build thing ? you buy connect to panel and thats it ?
there are to little knobs on that thing can you regulate the voltage with those ? because that would be great to fine tune ur ESL

i tried to find some but what is there common name ? because i cant fins any in the netherlands

WrineX said:

Ho heeej, the neon bulb why you need that one ? and where do you place it, because i thought the little thing on my HV unit had no real pupose but lettting you know the thing is on. can it elemenaty those nasty ticks i have been having if they are running for few days ?

by the way you can get those itemsn exteme cheap i spended allot more :(

The neon bulb is connected in parralell with a small capacitor.Then it is placed between EHT supply and diapraghm. When current starts to flow , the capacitor begins to charge.It will continue to charge until neon bulb's threshold voltage is reached. It will then discharge and flash the bulb for a short time. So flashing rate indicates current flow. If the bulb flashes in around a second or more, everything is OK. If it does so very frequently or is on constantly , it indicates a leakage problem.

Regards,
Lukas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.