Full range planar speaker using neo magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
First I would like to thanks everybody for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
Now that I've received my first 600 neo magnets will have to design and build some full range speakers planar inspired by Mike's work.
The general idea is to experiment with 2 pairs of A4 size with different solutions and in the end build larger one's.
Will be posting as things progress (or regress).

Jorge

Hi,
First I would like to thanks everybody for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
Now that I've received my first 600 neo magnets will have to design and build some full range speakers planar inspired by Mike's work.
The general idea is to experiment with 2 pairs of A4 size with different solutions and in the end build larger one's.
Will be posting as things progress (or regress).

Jorge

Hi Jorge
If you are into building planars A4 size, maybe this thread will be interesting to you.
Please keep us informed about your progress, and best luck on your project.
Kind regards
Pedro

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...i-planar-magnetic-using-neos.html#post2858059

Hallo everyone,

It has been some time since my last visit here.
Is there anyone here who has some (neo) bar magnets for sale?
In order to find out the best size of magnets for my goal I like to test something.
The size of the magnet for this test is not critical, so if someone – preferably in Europe (Netherlands)- has about 1 meter length of magnets for sale.
Please let me know.

I buy from ENES Magnesy - online shop, Neodym-Magnete, Magnetsysteme... usually. If you can find very thin kapton laminate I would be pleased. But as far as I know you can only get it as sticky tape stuff. Must make a laminate yourself or use wires or a hobby plotter/cutter for the traces. I used polyesther/Mylar wich I got in laminate form. Not thin enough but Still thinner then any kapton film I found so far. Since your Dutch I got loads of rubber magnet to if you're interested in playing with a low sens version like magnepan. ( even slightly less sensitive but I'm looking into that on my YouTube channel)

:) hope you can find the size magnets you are looking for there collection is not that massive but cheap

Last edited:
Hi WrineX
Thanks for the quick response, unfortunately I didn't see any suitable magnet on this address. Not to mention the prices. I was hoping for something like Henry (JAMESBOS)uses like 50 mm long etc.
About the rubber magnets, thanks but not really interested :) I did some measurements on magnets and layouts to make sure I understand things a bit. Now I am (almost) ready to invest in real magnets and want the best I can get. I the mean time I start making a test model with some rubber magnets like you have. (I let you know if I break too many )
Membrane : What is JAMESBOS using today, I though he too uses Kapton I could be wrong though.
Not sure what you mean with "laminate" a metallized film maybe?
Funny that you mention a plotter cutter as I am consider that as a way to make the conductor.
I take a look at your youtube channel

Hi WrineX
Thanks for the quick response, unfortunately I didn't see any suitable magnet on this address. Not to mention the prices. I was hoping for something like Henry (JAMESBOS)uses like 50 mm long etc.
About the rubber magnets, thanks but not really interested :) I did some measurements on magnets and layouts to make sure I understand things a bit. Now I am (almost) ready to invest in real magnets and want the best I can get. I the mean time I start making a test model with some rubber magnets like you have. (I let you know if I break too many )
Membrane : What is JAMESBOS using today, I though he too uses Kapton I could be wrong though.
Not sure what you mean with "laminate" a metallized film maybe?
Funny that you mention a plotter cutter as I am consider that as a way to make the conductor.
I take a look at your youtube channel

You could take a look here:
neomagnete
They have 50mm blocks on stock and they also do custom work. I had magnets made to specification (magnetisation direction) for my ribbons.

regards,

Gerrit

neo magnets cheap

I bought all my neos from chinese company you can get any size but I used 50 x 12.7 x 3 mm, just the right size to use 3 3 mm tape on each magnet. I have stopped using neos now use ferrites size 40 x 30 x 10 mm from Enes magnets. I don't use mylar or any other plastic now too much trouble stretching and funny noises as well. I don't have to stretch or even glue my diaphragms, so you can try different layouts and glue the best one in position. Depending on the size of your speaker you can either use 3 or 5 mm tape for the required impedance. I have built ones from 3.5 ohms to 15 ohms which doesn't really matter as I use a DIY valve amp of about 7 amps which works with all the different impedance no problem. I use 2 volume controls so I can equalise the volume and test different builds on the 2 speakers. Have finally reached my best designs after many years of designing redesigning, changing materials , layouts etc.

@HENRY
I have followed your experience here and I have got a quotation from a Chinese supplier unfortunately the prices are way higher then what you have paid. On the bright side, at least I can get all dimensions I want and I am aiming at around 6 mm wide. It all depends if I can make the conductor small enough, like 1 mm wide.
The metal plate will arrive this week and now I need material for the diaphragm and a place where to buy that, preferably in the Netherlands or Germany.
Suggestions are appreciated.
I do want neo magnets for the real thing since it gives more SPL and I do want my system to be able to play loud. Have to find out -probably the hard way- how to work with such strong magnets :)

Probably because I buy 2000 a time, although the price has increased over the last few months. Be very careful with neos, very powerful and they can jump quite a distance. Had a few near misses myself, and they are easily broken. I myself have stopped buying them myself. I use ferrite magnets now from Enes Magnets size 40 x 20 x 10 which are the cheapest size to buy although I usually buy 2000 a time. I don't use mylar or any plastics anymore. Too difficult and you get strange noises with plastic. Not easy to stretch that is why I gave up stretching. I have cut 100's of meters by hand with scissors. but I now buy 3 and 5 mm tape, depending on the size of the diaphragm to get the relevant impedance, although it doesn't matter all that much if you have 2 volume controls on your amp which I have on my DIY 7 amp valve amplifier, which works with impedance from 3.5 to 15 ohms with no problems whatsoever. Have built hundreds of speakers over the years!!

@HENRY,
My quotation is for 1000 but the price way higher then what you mentioned a while ago.
Anyway first things first, jumping magnets... near misses....easily broken.. very encouraging :) That is what I am afraid of, they must be glued and stay in place. I don't want the magnets touching each other the way you do it. Your design might be way easier but that way you use a lot of magnets and not much breathing space left.
You are not using Mylar anymore OK what material is your diaphragm?
Cutting 100's meter (alu) tape, yeah I have seen pictures of your work. I wanna use/try a more automated way of production. Impedance must end up somewhere between 3 and 9 ohm for SS amplifier use. I much prefer smaller conductor traces so I have to find out what is achievable.

Has anyone tried that heat shrink film plastic used for storm windows? I found it worked quite well with diy electrostats.

Al

I did, in the 80's during assembly of my version of "La folia" ,
The trapez-frame edges were rounded and the short end of trapez was formed as a half circle. The leftover trapez (cut-out) were used as underlay during attachment of the aluminium to the shrink film. No noise from edges were observed. Shrinking were easily done by a fan oven. Nail-snap to shrink-film proved (by ear) approx. the same tightening for both speakers.

@WrineX
This build is testing mostly although I wouldn't complain if it will sound good.
Mylar-only will do just fine, I though of etching too but I see a lot of problems.
How much will a diaphragm stretch and how will that effect the conductor traces?
Must I first fix the diaphragm before etching?
How thick is a Alu layer on a Mylar/aluminium laminate, is it not too thin for small -1mm wide - conductor traces.
Mylar 12 um seems good to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.