Full range planar speaker using neo magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MORE NEO REBUILDS.

Have decided against building anymore EPSILON style layouts and I am using 3mm tape now. Easier and just as sensitive, you live and learn, it's also a lot easier and quicker. My back is happier as well.:D I still have alot more rebuilds to do with the new tape.All the blue ones 9 of them.:(:tons: I will finish my headphones one day. I have finalized the 2 designs at last. I will have to swap ears to find the best layout as I have 2. The A4 size design is only half finished 1 more to build.When I get my carport I will be putting 2 on the wall outside to try. Big ones 4' x 2' with acoustic insulation at the rear.Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Attachments

• SAM_0154.JPG
    SAM_0154.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 543
  • SAM_0306.JPG
    SAM_0306.JPG
    627.8 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_0305.JPG
    SAM_0305.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_0301.JPG
    SAM_0301.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 138
  • SAM_0213.JPG
    SAM_0213.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 129
  • SAM_0170.JPG
    SAM_0170.JPG
    731.1 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_0167.JPG
    SAM_0167.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 464
  • SAM_0162.JPG
    SAM_0162.JPG
    680.5 KB · Views: 489
  • SAM_0157.JPG
    SAM_0157.JPG
    729.6 KB · Views: 503
  • SAM_0155.JPG
    SAM_0155.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 508
I have always wondered about these planar type speakers but never really understood how they work. What determines the low frequency cutoff?

Is it just the size?

I have always wanted to make a large one for subwoofer duties after seeing one of the ribbon manufacturers make a subwoofer that could play from 4-16hz I believe. Was amazing but they would not tell me anything about their technology.

But I always seem to see you making new speakers JAMESBOS so I wonder if you might know?

I did use a multimeter and it is 60um. It is glued and masked very easy to use.Especially to turn, you don't need it any thinner, else it will rip when using. Have done that a few times using the CPC 9mm tape and the 4.5mm tape when I cut it in half. Easy with scissors. Glad I don't have to cut anymore hundreds of meters. Not really designed any sub woofers, as the 4' x 2' using ferrites goes down low anyway no need for a sub woofer to my ears. The bass is very tight and non resonant compared to the QUAD ESL's. I have these as well. Much prefer my own designs in comparison. A lot easier to build and repair as well.Only £1.66 for 60 meters very cheap.Flemings left hand rule explains how they work.

Last edited:
Have decided against building anymore EPSILON style layouts and I am using 3mm tape now. Easier and just as sensitive, you live and learn, it's also a lot easier and quicker. My back is happier as well.:D I still have alot more rebuilds to do with the new tape.All the blue ones 9 of them.:(:tons: I will finish my headphones one day. I have finalized the 2 designs at last. I will have to swap ears to find the best layout as I have 2. The A4 size design is only half finished 1 more to build.When I get my carport I will be putting 2 on the wall outside to try. Big ones 4' x 2' with acoustic insulation at the rear.Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Henry,

What made you decide to not build any more Epsilon layouts?

Regards,

Tom

Too much work involved for no return, the difference in the impedance was the driving factor. Which I completely overlooked, which is typical for me, being a right thicko.Too much work all that tape especially at my age, and my back's not getting any younger. The 3mm tape I use now is a lot easier to lay.As long as you run a roller over it which is important with the glue used by the manufacturer. I don't have to cut anymore tape in half or quarters anymore, which is a welcome bonus.I always rush things without giving much thought to important parameters, woe is me!!! Still it keeps me busy and occupied. I will get on with my next rebuild after breakfast.

Last edited:
LATEST REBUILDS

Latest rebuilds only about another 15 more to go. Latest one on table to make up the small pairs on the floor. Then the 9 blue ones hanging up, will be the next rebuilds. After that a few more here and their.Then I will have to think of something else to build, perhaps an electronic piano layout and then a pair on the wall outside. Or an underfloor loaded full range planar now I have finalized my design after all these years! Should keep me busy and out of mischief.:):D:tons:

LATEST REBUILDS.

Latest rebuilds only about another 15 more to go. Latest one on table to make up the small pairs on the floor. Then the 9 blue ones hanging up, will be the next rebuilds. After that a few more here and their.Then I will have to think of something else to build, perhaps an electronic piano layout and then a pair on the wall outside. Or an underfloor loaded full range planar now I have finalized my design after all these years! Should keep me busy and out of mischief.:):D:tons:

Attachments

• SAM_0367.JPG
    SAM_0367.JPG
    474.2 KB · Views: 452
  • SAM_0366.JPG
    SAM_0366.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 462
  • SAM_0365.JPG
    SAM_0365.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 470
  • SAM_0364.JPG
    SAM_0364.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 496
Have stripped 3 more rebuilds, but I am waiting for some more 12um mylar C. Finally getting organised and making impedance the same within .2 of an ohm. So I get a good pair or a good 9 with the blue ones.Am playing 2 of my rebuilds and they sound great. The tightness of the diaphragm is very important. If not drummy all round you get terrible resonance, so make the diaphragm tight all round. I think finally I have arrived in Nirvana at last. No more re-designs at last.As I said I might make an electronic piano out of 3 diaphragms, should be an interesting and stimulating project.If I lived in a detached house I would build an underfloor loaded full range planar. The bass would sound awesome..I did build cone underfloor loaded speakers but the bass was too loud and shaky for the people next door, plates fell of their shelves.

Here is some picture. My english is not so well.

Attachments

• IMG_7848.JPG
    IMG_7848.JPG
    427.8 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_7847.JPG
    IMG_7847.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_7844.JPG
    IMG_7844.JPG
    484.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_7843.JPG
    IMG_7843.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_7841.JPG
    IMG_7841.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7839.JPG
    IMG_7839.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_7830.JPG
    IMG_7830.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_7826.JPG
    IMG_7826.JPG
    515 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_7816.JPG
    IMG_7816.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_7849.JPG
    IMG_7849.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 276
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.