Full range planar speaker using neo magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built simple ESLs--easy to do. I repaired a pair of Magneplanars using magnet wire for the tweeters and was pleased with the results. First attempts at a planar magnetic from scratch have produced mixed results: reasonable sensitivity, surprising SPLs, excellent detail, and (unfortunately) audible distortion during close-miked vocals.

Running the magnets abutted in both the axes parallel and normal to the voice coil conductors seems odd. Why bother using perforated steel for a pole piece? Arraying NdFeB magnets this way will be expensive with much of the magnetic flux contained with the magnet array rather than acting on the voice coil wires.

I have built simple ESLs--easy to do. I repaired a pair of Magneplanars using magnet wire for the tweeters and was pleased with the results. First attempts at a planar magnetic from scratch have produced mixed results: reasonable sensitivity, surprising SPLs, excellent detail, and (unfortunately) audible distortion during close-miked vocals.

Running the magnets abutted in both the axes parallel and normal to the voice coil conductors seems odd. Why bother using perforated steel for a pole piece? Arraying NdFeB magnets this way will be expensive with much of the magnetic flux contained with the magnet array rather than acting on the voice coil wires.

i once made a few planars with neo's without using a pole piece. the magnets themselfs where the front. like a grill

YouTube

YouTube

it measures actually pretty well :) it ahs been a while since i've looked at these haha

Attachments

• blaa 1.jpg
    blaa 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 754
  • bla2.jpg
    bla2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 741
  • bla3.jpg
    bla3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
On ebay now, there are tons of cheap Neo magnets. from 200 pieces of 1"x1/4x1/'8 for 16 bucks to a single 1"x1" with a 150lb. pull for 10 bucks. Some even larger. To make a mag planar what size would be optimum for say a 2" wide ribbon but long, Like 4' long?
And how would you put it together?

Optimum is hard to say but I definitely can use the 1"x1/4x1/'8 do you have a link?
I am terrible in searching am afraid.

On ebay now, there are tons of cheap Neo magnets. from 200 pieces of 1"x1/4x1/'8 for 16 bucks to a single 1"x1" with a 150lb. pull for 10 bucks. Some even larger. To make a mag planar what size would be optimum for say a 2" wide ribbon but long, Like 4' long?
And how would you put it together?

I build 60 by 40 cm full range planars using 40 x 30 x 10 mm ferrites and 3 mm and 5 mm aluminium tape depending on the impedance and size required.

Have ordered a large sheet of MDF 35 kilos in weight. Have a new size 38" x 16" so I can use 5 mm wide aluminium foil for the correct impedance. Have a bad back at the moment so can't cut the MDF yet. Have reduced the number of magnet as I have made the diaphragm foil vertical, this saves 12 magnets compared to the horizontal layout. I have also reduced the number of magnets significantly in my new layout with no loss of sensitivity. I have also stopped the funny resonances as well. When my back recovers I will start on my new size, it will probably use almost 40 metres of foil!

for a size 24" x 16" one you have to use 3 mm wide tape, and for my next build 38" x 16" I am using 5 mm tape which is easier to deal with. Both put on vertically wnich saves magnets. I use 40 x 20 x 10 mm ferrites. Which I buy from ENES MAGNETS in Poland which are the cheapest for me.

full range planars

several different ones, christmas wrapping paper, photos printed on photo material plain un-printed paper. I can put different pictures on. A lot easier to use than mylar, you don't have to stretch just put in position you can glue them on or just hold them on with screws or picture frames, easy peasy!;)

full range planars

Stopped using neos as well too hard to fill membrane and too expensive use 40 x 20 x 10 ferrite ones now from enes magnets poland. Also use less ferrite ones as well using different layout as well. Using less magnets is just as sensitive as using more magnets you live and learn, have built and rebuilt over 500 full range planars over the last 15 years and I am still learning.:wave2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.