Full range planar speaker using neo magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Full Range Planar by JamesBos

Hi to all, I'm a newbie. I hope that I'm posting this correctly. Seems
like it's a little different from other forums I've visited. JamesBos,
I am interested in the Full range planar that is very simple to
build. Can you tell me if the magnets are placed vertically or
horizontally on the perforated metal sheet? Is there a place to
see the pictures you are talking about? I noticed that you gave
instructions to go to tubes. Is that You Tube? I cannot e-mail you
because I'm a newbie. It's great that the moderators run a tight
ship and protect us. I will await your post and happiness always,
Klipschorn dude:smash:

Hi, welcome, you can put the magnets on horizontal or vertical, I have tried both. It is easier to put them on vertically as the aluminium tape is easier to put on the membrane, not so many turns which is the hardest bit. This is the place you can easily rip the thin aluminium tape. If you do you have to start again. Hard on patience and the back! The tubes in question are on this forum one of the many sub sections, explore and learn! They are worth the effort and are easy to maintain . The dearest part are the magnets but they last for many years. The sound is very open and clean no boom or tizz. I have got a pair of 4' x 2' with neos hanging from the ceiling very light and thin about 3".Very easy to place in the room. I have built a pair 2' x 2' full range even easier to hang off the ceiling and out of the way.
Feel free to ask any questions and send email if so inclined.
Happy new year Anthony.

anybody has tried a small planar ? for only the mids and high from 1k and up ?

everybody is making fullrange but i like to keep the whole systemm small, also the panel cant be verry width because of beaming the high frequency. cant fin it anywhere on the site and i would really like to start with this kind of small project, before buying 200 neo's

Hi Corvus,
The magnets are in alternate rows N S N S etc, and you don't have to glue them down as the perforated steel sheet holds the magnets down as they are quite powerful. The magnets I use are 50mm x 12.7mm x 3mm. These are easier to control. Bigger magnets would be more dangerous. I have trapped my fingers a few times! Nasty blood blisters! These neos are very powerful and can only be separated by sliding. So care and patience is the order of the day.
Regards Anthony.

Have just built my first push pull full range planar size 40 x 60mm, am very happy with it it is as loud as my 4' x 2' full range planar. I am going to build one using neos same size. The ferrite one weighs in at 14 kilos. The neo one will be a lot lighter and more sensitive. I shall concentrate on the push pull design for all my future constructions. This is the way to go.:)

James ,

I'm getting ready to do a push pull bass unit and I do plan on using Bars as opposed to perf sheets as you did. Still curious to see what you have come up with on yours, I cannot tell from the previous pics posted .

Could you post some pics on the finished unit ...

regards,

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
James ,

I'm getting ready to do a push pull bass unit

regards,

hey wayne
just a small note
remember to have front and back magnet with N to N towards each other, and S to S
if you choose front/back N to S, then you will get sidewards movement instead

one advantage is that front and back magnets wont attrackt each other, thus wont clash together

though I doubt its simple
magnets do strange things
and the field may not behave as intended

before buying all those expencive magnets, I suggest to build a small model, to see how it behaves
and its very tricky to assemble
you can only handle one magnet at a time
do not try to make larger sections
those magnets are impossible to control in multiples

I use 2 diaphragms so you can put the magnets on either side of the perforated sheet N to S so there is no clashing of magnets or any danger of the magnets jumping about. This works fine as I said before the 600 x 400 mm push pull full range planar is as loud as my 4' x 2' creation in red. I'm having difficulty loading my pictures on this site. I will put the picture of my new p/p frp on another site well my Grandson will as he is the computer expert.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.