Quad ESL 63 Panel Failure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am rebuilding some ESL63 panels .The common point of failure that I have read about on this forum is the stator becoming seperated from the plastic grid. I do see this on a couple of panels that I have . Are there any other points of failure I should be looking at? I have read about the diaphragm splitting, anyone know what causes this? Also what are the causes of arcing within the panel?
Thanks
Andrew

Quad esl panel problems

Andrew,

Based on my experience rebuilding a set of USA monitors and building a quad "subwoofer" for my own use, I found the main problem to be, in the worst case tearing of the diaphram or noticeable arcing in the woofer panels. This makes sense as they are the panels being driven with the most volume, hence excursion.

The stator separation problem seems to have come from bad batches of glue and was confined to certain production runs. Certain glue formulations apparently reacted with the ozone generated by the high voltage and "let go".

Depending on the seriousness of the separation or arcing problem, decided to trash the offending panel and was able to buy "broken" panels from QS&D at a reasonable price. These did not have separation or noticeable arcing and I "only" had to re-diaphragm them.

BTW I used the ER Audio rebuilding kit and was VERY satisfied with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.