DIY Planar magnetic Hybride

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another 45 meters bites the dust,easy. Will fix magnets to base today then start on the epsilon clone diaphragm tomorrow, Should have the pair running by Monday.Can't wait for the explosive sound!*&%^. Then I will probably do all my rebuilds with the new diaphragm. No peace for the wicked.

Last edited:
I must emphasize how important it is to use the epsilon layout to get the highest sensitivity with the lowest magnet count. You don't even have to use neos which are way overpriced at the moment. I built a epsilon layout using ferrites which was as sensitive as one of my old designs same size using neos. Anyway cheerio going to finish the other one of the pair.

Last edited:
ANOTHER DESIGN.

The first picture shows the magnets in place, this uses 24 columns of ferrite magnets. 2nd shows diaphragm ready for foil. 3rd shows another 45 meters of foil cut in half with scissors, took about 1.5 hours. 4th & 5th shows the holographic pair I am using at this time! 6th the layout at the bottom. 7th In position for foil placement. Which I will do tomorrow.This is another epsilon layout with different magnets and design, ready to compare with other ones I have built previously. I should get a grip of my records of my different designs!!! My memory is not what it was and after I have covered the designs. I can't see the details. Still always have been dis_organised.:D:confused:

Attachments

• SAM_0264.JPG
    SAM_0264.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 349
  • SAM_0265.JPG
    SAM_0265.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 346
  • SAM_0266.JPG
    SAM_0266.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 327
  • SAM_0267.JPG
    SAM_0267.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 314
  • SAM_0268.JPG
    SAM_0268.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 308
  • SAM_0269.JPG
    SAM_0269.JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_0270.JPG
    SAM_0270.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I use 3mm tape now so I don't have to cut anymore tape in half thank god. Am still learning even after 20 years or more experience, still building different layouts designs re-thoughts. I must get my act together and be better at writing everything down and keeping track of the different impedance when comparing designs my major failing at this point in time. Also the magnet layout and number can be a problem as well. Which I have just discovered. Surprises can suddenly appear and you have to go back to the drawing board, so to speak. What you expect to happen is a shock when the opposite occurs.This I have experienced this week. So I am still learning and require a lot more diligence when measuring etc. YOU LIVE AND LEARN, SLOWLY.

What am i missing.....

JAMESBOS
I have a hard time geting why you have to use so miney mag....look at the Stages bass panels...i run these with 50tube amp...get great output...lot less mag...right....Can you say?....thanks for all your work an post an pic..

Attachments

• scaled_IMG_4802[1].jpg
    scaled_IMG_4802[1].jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 141
Epsilon Layout

I must emphasize how important it is to use the epsilon layout to get the highest sensitivity with the lowest magnet count. You don't even have to use neos which are way overpriced at the moment. I built a epsilon layout using ferrites which was as sensitive as one of my old designs same size using neos. Anyway cheerio going to finish the other one of the pair.

Hi JAMESBOS,

After contemplating between Electrostatic and Magnetostatic, I have decided to attempt the later. I am in the process of determining the design and layout. I see that you seem to emphasize on" Epsilon Layout " . What exactly is it ? I can't fathom that from what you have posted.

Thanks in advance.

Jay53

EPSILON OR NOT!?

Am in the process of building new design which uses less magnets than my last one, keep your fingers crossed! Have had to rethink some of my designs, it's far more complicated than I originally thought! You live and learn even after 20 years of work.:confused:

Last edited:
Need a little help

Was thinking about building ESL's but finding transformers is difficult and my electronics knowledge is suspect. Thus, magnetostatic might have a higher chance of success for me.

Would appreciate a little more help if you all would be so kind

1) I presume the mylar is tensioned. If so, is the technique similar to the ESL builder pages (ie bike inner tube or hair dryer)?

2) If # 1 is yes-> the signal carrying tape is applied AFTER tensioning - YES?

3) Is the signal carrying tape run "between the column of magnets" (and not down the center of the magnet's longitudinal axis)? Or does it matter?

4) For feasability studies, what sort of "garbage bin liners" can be used (in USA). (This stuff seems awfully heavy with lots of inertia)

Thanks

Was thinking about building ESL's but finding transformers is difficult and my electronics knowledge is suspect. Thus, magnetostatic might have a higher chance of success for me.

Would appreciate a little more help if you all would be so kind

1) I presume the mylar is tensioned. If so, is the technique similar to the ESL builder pages (ie bike inner tube or hair dryer)?

2) If # 1 is yes-> the signal carrying tape is applied AFTER tensioning - YES?

3) Is the signal carrying tape run "between the column of magnets" (and not down the center of the magnet's longitudinal axis)? Or does it matter?

4) For feasability studies, what sort of "garbage bin liners" can be used (in USA). (This stuff seems awfully heavy with lots of inertia)

Thanks
1)I tension my mylar by hand, it is held in place by wood round the cutout.
2) The tape is put in position before you tension the diaphragm.
3) Between the column of magnets, the epsilon design puts them in the centre as well, but I have stopped using the epsilon layout after building testing and comparing them against the normal layout.
4) I no longer use rubbish bags, like when I first started 20 years ago, too heavy. Instead I use 12um mylar.

You ARE doing great work...thanks for all your info here on ribbons...I have All my fingers crossed.....Good job.....
Have had minny apogees an just got a nother pr of the Stages..Sound is so real makes me cry...not any thing i have had is so eze to drive an sound so good... JUst step a way from Apogee ribbons for 10years...then come back....to real sweet tube sound....an the real base....great sound.....
ESL are vary good an i well never give them up.... but it hot here with 80% hum...not good for ESLs pain in my but....goodluck

SOME MORE REBUILDS.

46 rows on this re-design, using the 3mm tape. Easier to use than 4.5mm tape used previously. Prefer the horizontal design seems to give better bass than the vertical layout. Although you get more turns using horizontal than vertical position on diaphragm, which is harder to place on diaphragm, more fiddling. Resistance 6.7 ohms give or take a couple of tenths.:):D

Attachments

• SAM_0316.JPG
    SAM_0316.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 156
  • SAM_0317.JPG
    SAM_0317.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 145
  • SAM_0320.JPG
    SAM_0320.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 135
  • SAM_0324.JPG
    SAM_0324.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 132
  • SAM_0325.JPG
    SAM_0325.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 127
  • SAM_0326.JPG
    SAM_0326.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 72
  • SAM_0327.JPG
    SAM_0327.JPG
    377 KB · Views: 74
Would appreciate a little more help

The magnets are attached (glued, magnetically attached, other?) to a steel mesh grill - yes/no? - or makes no difference as to "grill material"?

Magnets are arranged in alternating polarity by rows ? (ie one end is "North" and adjacent is "South") - yes/no?

Could you give link to magnets - exactly - ie where to purchase or what to look for? Possibly in US if you are familiar. If not then in UK as I have relatives.

Same for tape - link, thickness, material, etc.

I have Mylar so will use this as membrane

INITIAL Current flow in tape makes no difference as it alternates also row by row? - or is there an initial orientation with respect to magnet polarity that needs to be considered?

Tape is just hooked to amplifier outputs - no other circuitry required?

Response to 20Hz is measured or estimated?

SPL's that can be obtained - your estimate

Other "gotchas" to be aware of.

Thanks for help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.