Final Electrostatics???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Danielm You´re so damn right ;)
Even more BS in the review. Why don´t those reviewers not just simply concentrate on what they might be able to do.... just listen and report? Instead they who generally have not the slightest technical knowledge try to explain technical details and effects.
In some cases this should be the funny kind of literature You normally read on the loo and lough about, but some reviewers read such that You get instant pain :bawling:

jauu
Calvin

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
danielm said:
Very cool looking...

Inverted??? Stators are fixed, audio is fed to the film.

These sales pitches always read like a wine label to me.

Lots of BS...

I'm looking for a dealer nearby to go check 'em out. Although, I imagine I'll continue to DIY my esl.

They have a patent to the inverted technology. Interesting read, how they solve the various problems. Don't know how they sound.

Jan Didden

danielm said:
I don't understand what they are doing with the super ESL's audio.
Can anyone explain this tap on the mylar?

They are electrically segmenting the ESL in a full range and a low segment.

The bigger low segment will have a bigger mylar-stator distance. (f.e. 2.5mm)
So it is tapped of on the 1/100 tap of the tranny, and the resistance will also be higher, so the cut off frequency of the RC is lower.

The small full range segment (high) will have a smaller mylar- stator distance. (f.e. 1mm)
So it is tapped off on the 1/50 tap
The resistance will be low so it stays full range.

At least, this is what I make of it.

Geert

Hi,

You´re right so far with the explanation, but still though this is a constant-voltage ESL and as such no low-distortion design.
It sounds very much like marketing, in the intention to sell something that can be produced cheaper as the better stuff.

The real advantage imo is higher safety potential.
The high bias voltage on the stator is easier to insulate and less dangerous (no current) than the potentially lethal high voltage high current signal that the audio tranny can supply. But apart from that, nothing new, nothing spectacular and nothing better than other ´classical´ ESLs

jauu
Calvin

gvy said:

They are electrically segmenting the ESL in a full range and a low segment.

The bigger low segment will have a bigger mylar-stator distance. (f.e. 2.5mm)
So it is tapped of on the 1/100 tap of the tranny, and the resistance will also be higher, so the cut off frequency of the RC is lower.

The small full range segment (high) will have a smaller mylar- stator distance. (f.e. 1mm)
So it is tapped off on the 1/50 tap
The resistance will be low so it stays full range.

At least, this is what I make of it.

Geert

What about phase???

OK. I had another look and noticed the break in the diaphragm line which must represent two isolated panels.
I thought they were feeding one large diaphram and it appeared to me that the "100" would be roughly 90 degrees behind the "50". The "100", "50" indicating it is a center tapped sec.
Makes more sense now...

Man, I need to get my eyes checked.

BTW, What would be a reasonably priced driver to use on an OB that comes close to the esl sound I am fond of?
I'm wanting to build a system for my weekend cabin. Either DIY ESLs, OB or ???

Hi,

there´s imo no single dynamic driver coming equal to an good ESL.
I had a lot of fun with the AERs, but those are expensive (though still ´reasonably´ priced). They were the only fullrangers that came close to an ESL in many respects and were even better in some respects.
pos: dynamics, very easy to drive, consumes less space
neg: resolution, coloration, price

jauu
Calvin

ak_47_boy said:
Would a diy "inverted" esl sound better than a diy "classic" esl? Assuming they both use high end parts and are built well.

I would imagine they would sound the same.

Calvin,
The quest for the ESL sound in a dynamic driver is a quest I bet one could go broke looking for.
I guess I better start thinking about making stators and stop this nonsense...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.