In-wall (soffit) mounting for ESL speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this?

Just as a hypothetical situation, I would build these speakers into soffits (false walls) angled in thirty degrees from the back wall that the listener faces, thus creating an equilateral triangle between listener and speakers, with the speakers facing the listener on-axis. The area behind the soffits could be stuffed with whatever, or left empty.

Right now, I'm just curious, but who knows where this single question might lead.

Thanks!

The "box" spaces would have to be quite large to not adversely effect the operation of the ESL. The effective VAS of an ESL is insanely large, you'd be talking about building another room as an enclosure. Now if you made the panels 14.5" wide and put them between studs venting to adjoining rooms, you might have something.

Sheldon

I wouldn't want to stifle your experimentation. Thiele-Small considerations like Vas generally come into play on the low end of the band of the ESL (or any driver). If you choose to roll-off the bottom end with a crossover and use a separate woofer, or to delve into resonance compensation down there, your ideas might be worth consideration. The great Peter Walker of Quad fame described several different types of enclosed ESL designs. You’ll have to consider various absorptive and possibly diffractive inner materials to attenuate or diffuse reflections. While it’s true that the transmission loss is lower for a thin membrane than for a thick cone, internal cabinet reflection control is really not so much different than what the cone guys have to deal with. We all live with paradigms that can be restrictive. One is that ESLs must be dipolar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.