A panel speaker design I've never seen before

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm seriously considering it. It's a unique enough design that my curiosity is piqued.

ak_47_boy wrote:
I see the words "pneumatic" and "reeds". I think it is 2 membrains and air pressure between them gets controled by some type of magnetically controlled reed valve? Just a guess i have no clue what i am talking about.

Hrm, that never occurred to me. It makes a certain amount of sense, actually.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Hi,

Its fairly obvious the pneumatic motor assembly never happened,
I presume the plans are for the loudspeaker driven prototype.

You certainly won't get plans that meet the stated specification.

I'm not fond of the author penchant to over-hype himself and the things he builds, often to the point of being what I'd call misleading.

:)/sretn.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have built a similar speakers for my computer that works in the same way... using those transducer speakers that stick on the wall/table/carboard box/anything flat. They turn anything into a vibrating speaker - I think they are made by Sonic Impact - yes the Tripath Sonic Impact -

Anyway, I slung some thin mylar (actually, an old Sepia engineering drawing from work) over a basic 12" x 8" picture frame and stapled it tight around the edges. Then I simply stuck one of those vibrating speakers on the lower half and Violla, Poor Man's Maggies.

Sounded OK (not close to my Magnepan MMG's, tho), but I noticed the sound got much better/clearer when I stretched to mylar tighter over the picture frame.

Maybe I will resurect that project someday...

Given the drive system...

I can't really see that what film that you might choose to use will make a whole lot of difference. I would suggest that you find the thinnest plastic wrap that you can at your grocery store and use that. The high frequency comming off the back pole piece vent of a speaker is not in all likelyhood going to be very extended (or clean) so super thin film is not going to buy you anything. Further this is a neumatic system so film mass is nt going to be an issue either as it would in an ESL. It would be best (my guess) that you keep the volume between your two sections of film equal to or smaller than that of the volume of air in the pole piece vent. Make sure that the system is air tight (no leaks). Thinner film would make for better bass but don't get your hopes up.
You could also construct one of these using a plastic pipe section say 1 " dia with a vertical slot opening on each side about a 3/8 inch wide. Fit with an internal solid dowel to fill most all of the volume and tape your diaphragm film over each vertical slot. Cap off one end of the pipe and fix the other end to your driver.
Some of those small long throw Aura drivers like the kind used in computer and ipod speakers would work well as they have long throw. That way you would not be listening to the resonance off the back side of a cone driver. I cannot see that your money would be well spent on what ever design info that Steve has to offer regarding this idea. Just play with it first and see what you think. There are no magic secrets regarding this thing. I expect it will be a fun experiment but don't expect to have a world beater with this idea. At ten bucks per set of plans it's a great idea ...for Steve. Regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.