Safe transport of ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering buying some 2nd hand ESLs at an attractive price. How can they be shipped by road safely?

They are on an island, and would get here via a very large ferry (across sometimes rough sea), and travel about 100 miles total in a Kombi van.
Having done the very same crossing, the road trip would be the rougher, much bigger risk. The roads can be undulating – bouncy, occasionally with jolts.

How big is the risk?
I think the Kombi interior height exceeds the speaker height - would the main risk be twisting the frame & panels, from not having them upright?
What are the other risks, and how can they be nullified?

Thanks

Richard

pack well don't worrie...

if you use Dow Ethafoam or the like to pack the panels and ship on edge they will be fine. If your shipper cannot find Ethafoam then you can have him use 3/4 inch size bubble wrap (several layers) then cardboard wrap then another two wraps of bubble wrap and an outside cardboard wrap. That should get them to you in good condition. Buy some insurance and make sure that the package is clearly marked as fragile. Good luck regards Moray James.

Twisting is only good "by the pool"

are these speakers that you are havng shipped Quad's? Tall flat panels similar to Acoustats (even thier plus series at 7'10" tall) all ship well on edge (horizontal) rather than vertical as this will place less stress on both panel and frame. Old Quads will not take kindly to a rough ride (take the feet off). If they are Quad's I would ship with enough insurance to cover the replacement of all panels including the shipping of those replacement panels. There is a chap in Florida who I am told rebuilds Quad's better than new. Questions to you; are the panels flat or curved? Are the panels held together with hard adhesive (like epoxy) or with acrylic foam tape? The foam tape will handle a rough ride better than will a hard adhesive. I guess that you will find out soon the answer to your question. Good luck and regards Moray James.

Hi moray

these speakers (if I proceed) are local ESLs “Moss” electrostatics shown:

http://www.aca.gr/pop_coulson.htm

Hard to see in the pic, but his ceilings are c. 3.8 - 4.5 m high . .

I’m thinking of buying his “Rear ambience Moss speakers” 1.5 (5 feet) high, 0.5 wide (2 feet)

The panels are curved. Better for horizontal dispersion - better or worse for shipping?

> Are the panels held together with hard adhesive (like epoxy) or with acrylic foam tape?
The foam tape will handle a rough ride better than will a hard adhesive.

Good point - have to check

Also considering these: http://www.capaciti-diy.com/ (“Website in English - Coming soon”)

“one of the best testimonials ever in the leading diy-loudspeaker-magazine of Germany for such an setup”

I’m waiting for a translation . .

Cheers

I would imagine that he should know how to package the speakers”

ESLs seem far more vulnerable than box speakers, and being able to select great components may not correlate with being a great packer of goods, that were ** disposed of due to *concern about there * remaining life . . ?

I am just being prudent –

They are maybe 10 years old, have been moved several times (cumulative stresses?)
- the custom trannie specs are not known

In fact there are no specs at all, so barring major mishaps, transit insurance is a waste of money . .

Regards

Richard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.