Long term serviceability of ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

distortion is inherent to every speaker, with good ESLs still far better than dynamic speakers. The type of construction of the ESL doesn´t play a important role, as long as cerain rules are obeyed.
Let the ESL only work in a frequency range where he can shine ;)
Distortions rise as soon as the membrane has to move considerably. This is the case below ~200Hz. Curved ESLs are a bit more prone to low freq-distortion than planar types. Above ~200Hz both methods work with equal low distortion. Keep in mind too, that a certain amount of distortion (sometimes even the most!) may come from the audio-trannies especially at elevated volumes.
Have an eye on the dimensions and materials You choose. Every ESL panel suffers more or less from standing waves. You can see that in the freq-response, the distortion measures and the CSD-plots. One reason is that most panels have their membrane glued to some stiff and hard spacer material. This is a good condition for standing waves to be generated.....strongly varying mechanical impedance --> strong reflexion --> high reflected amplitude --> strong standing wave. You will find this effect for the horizontal dimensions and for the vertical dimensions. Since curved stators feature only mechanical tension of the membrane in vertical direction (but with a high value) they rather show just one frequency of a standing wave, while flat panels with tension in both directions show two frequencies.

jauu
Calvin

rick57 said:
Hi

I was offered some 2nd hand ESLs which currently sound very good, but have had a lot of use, and were made by local guy here in Australia who has now retired. I asked the owner about long term serviceability. He replied:

“Long term serviceability is NIL. Alan Moss in poor health so cannot assist further. He has spare transformers which he might be persuaded to part with for the other two panels which I had stacked.

There are a couple of potential problems with the panels -

(1) the Mylar can "soften" and so give rise to a buzzing sound. Easily fixed by squirting a small amount of Silastic in to the offending part so it is effectively glued.

(2) the contact strip to the Mylar can lose contact. Not so easily fixed by using a little aluminium strip to the Mylar and changing the small wire to this instead of the original contact strip. This has been performed successfully on one panel.”

I don’t know much about ESL serviceability, but imagine the trannies could go (might they be dear?), but don’t know what other factors to consider – what might they be?

They’re interstate so I can’t inspect them now, but the guy is in our local Audio Club so I would get honest answers to any questions.

Thanks

Rick,
try this link to a on line article by my friend Sheldon Stokes: http://www.quadesl.com/diy_esl1.html

-Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.