Would like to learn more about the ESS AMT tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, what would you like to know about the different models?

They started with the AMT1, the 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d (and 2) were all subsequently newer models. They made minor modifications to the crossovers and woofers (they never seemed to get the woofers right) They also made AMT1 towers and AMT1 bookshelves, bigger and smaller respectively. The AMT3 was also known as the Rock Monitor and was a big 3 way. The AMT4 used a smaller version of the AMT tweeter along with a smaller woofer. The AMT5 was a bookshelf that didn't use the dipole tweeter, but a monopole AMT. The AMT6 was a big prosound job with an array of 4 tweeters at the top and 2 - 12's. There was also an line they called Concept that used a different model of AMT tweeter. There were some other models, but these are the most popular.

When I first bought a 1B from a friend, I thought it had a very special sound to it. The AMT sound is something I like very much. Unfortunately it doesn't blend well with a 12" woofer (especially 1970's vintage). I've done a couple of designs that match them up with more modern 8" woofers that sound much better, IMHO. I'm still working on the perfect combo, but I'm happy with the direction it's going.

John

Thank you for the reply John!

You told me everything I wanted to know.

Do you mind if I ask a few more questions?

I am new to the DIY world and I see a lot of talk about different drivers being superior to one another.

I suppose it depends on the person how they want to define 'superior' but do you feel these tweeters are that much better than a great dome or a ribbon?

Also, I see many people place these tweeters on top of an enclosure. Am i correct in my assumption, can you simply just place these anywhere and feed them a signal?

It depends what version of tweeter I bet, do the dipoles need to be mounted in this manner?

Lastly, is $200-$300 too much for a new set of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESS-HEIL-AMT-1D...ryZ50597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What combinations have you tried with the tweeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.