Manger SWING

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are the main determinants of fast rise time, in order?

Transducers are electromechnical bandpass-filters. The behaviour at the upper end of their bandwidth is determined by several different constructional details. The actual construction determines which one(s) to be dominant.

Some examples:

Electrical lowpass formed by Lvc and Re.

Electromechanical lowpass determined by force-factor/moving-mass.

Mechanical "filters" formed by breakup modes and acoustical delays.

Regards

Charles

Hi,

I have some speakers on the design board and I suddenly remembered the existence of the MSW! It opens up a second very differnt design path, yet both do what I was after technically, but I have not heard the MSW.

Can someone give me a description of its sound?

I was planning to use it above 250Hz and can do steep filters as well so there is a lot of peak SPL ability.

I like speakers that can play any type of music, but do listen to a lot of metal, indie, rock etc.. Also a lot of vocal and acoustic jazz though. Thats why I need the high SPL ability, for metal ;)

Anyway I read on TNT that the small bookshelf has a very laid back sound, but I wonder when looking at the MSW's frequency response if this is just the suck-out around 1.3KHz showing itself?

I would have the ability to EQ the litte dip out so it is flat so if that is the only reason it sounds too laid back then that is not an issue.

If it is something else though...

Someone said that the drawback of these drivers is that that have higher distortion. What sort? I dislike colouration and distortion very much! Clean, clean, clean is for me :)

I'd like to use it open baffle but I know Mrs. Manger suggested it might not work. Would it be okay when it is not producing bass below 250Hz (steep filter)?

This must be one of the most expensive drivers out there! £515 each! :eek:

If you need a speaker with high SPL capability AND low distortion you might be better off with a combination of a horn mid-high and a direct radiating woofer.
For vocal jazz at moderate SPLs the Manger is ideal but not so with loud rock IMO.
I've been listening to Dream Theater (Train of thought) recently and the hard songs had an annoying sound on the Mangers. But I'd have to listen to this one on other speakers as well to be able to tell if it was really the speaker's fault. One disappointing property of this record is the dynamic compression on the hard songs. The soft parts sound very nice though.

Steep crossover slopes might indeed improve the distortion characteristics. A higher crossover frequency than 250 Hz might improve things even more. But one would have to try it out in practive, especially if you want to use it on an open baffle.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Manger actually has two dips in its response curve. One at 800 Hz and one at 1.6kHz.

Regards

Charles

I am planning to use Manger MSW for the center channel and it appears that 8L is needed. However, I need a rather thin cabinet to fit into the limited space I have. I have attached a schematic drawiomg. Will this work?

Attachments

• manger case.jpg
    manger case.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 287
max653
New alluminium Scan-Speak Revelator like 26W4867T00 is excellent choice for the MSW. I personally dont like paper membranes. For me every paper membrane sound the same.
The magnesium Seas Excel W26FX001 is also excellent, but only for active variant (too low sensitivity).

ackheng
Yes, 8 liter cabinet is good for MSW, but the more depth you have behind this driver the better. That is why I made egg-shaped enclosures or used front horns without back enclosure.

The more effective damping behind behind MSW the clearer the sound at high SPL.

With small 8 liter enclosure you are not able to keep damping 6cm distant from the MSW and still have damped enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.